Submitted on: 4/13/2018 7:27:46 AM
By: Rde 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 2 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 2680
author picture

BinFileEdit 3.2 - Fully functional Hex Editor
I have used several Hex Editors over the years. They all did the same thing but they also seemed to each lack some functionality I needed.

I found this Hex Editor here on PSC created by Herman C. Liu which I liked. It had the ability to print pages, had working search and goto, and was much faster than most at opening files and scrolling, so it seemed like a good starting point. I began to add features I wanted that it didn't have, and refined its behavior, and is now a very useful tool.

Features include: Edit as Hex, Ascii, Binary or characters. Type directly from the keyboard just like any other editor. Search by Hex values or characters. Undo all changes. Open very large files quickly. Responsive scrolling, doesn't stall or stutter even on large files. Select multiple hex bytes/characters and copy to clipboard. Open multiple files including drag-and-drop.

Like I said, Hex Editors all do basically the same thing, and this is not much different. However, it does everything I have ever needed from a Hex Editor, and more. For example, enter a Hex or Ascii value to get the Binary, or vice-versa.

I find this Hex Editor by Herman Liu to be extremely handy when I need it, and thought others might appreciate it also. Bug reports and suggestions for improvement welcome.

BinFileEdit remains copyright Herman C. Liu.

3.1 update improved Insert/Edit behavior.
Fit long file paths within Titlebar width.

3.2 update fixed minor bugs.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 22 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

4/14/2018 4:13:28 PM

Rde,

Thank you for mentioning my name, even for a code over 10 years old. I believe you must have done a great enhancement to it.

I want to fetch a copy of your this codde, but I have been rejected with a msg saying illegal access to Windows registry. I would suggest that you use an INI file instead of GetSetting/SaveSetting.

Regards,
Herman

(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

5/28/2018 10:01:48 AMdelphifocus

@Rde, make it portable, not write on system registry. thx

5/28/2018 10:58:53 AMRde

Hi Herman
Thanks for this great app.
Hi also delphifocus
I need more information, I am not using system registry. Must be some other problem that vb is mis-identifying
Try disabling the wheel hook (comment out call to HookWheel and unhookwheel)
????

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.