SoftwareLock

Email
Submitted on: 1/4/2015 5:56:00 AM
By: Nasir Ahmad (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 20 Users
Compatibility: C#, VB.NET, C++.NET
Views: 5160

Hello Again! Here is my second submission to PSC, and its a complete Software Protection System, to protect the software you've worked on so hard to develop, from illegal copying or un-authorised use. In the core of the system is the SoftwareLock Class, which needs to be compiled by a VB.NET compiler as a DLL, that done you can use it in any .NET languages to provide protection for your software. I've also included a sample project (SoftwareLockDemo) which demonstrates how to implement the various properties and methods SoftwareLock exposes. The third project included in this package is the Softwarelock Key-genarator application, which you can use to generate Serial Keys for your customers. How does SoftwareLock work??? ... Well, you basically supply a codename (AppName property), and a password for your application, SoftwareLock combines these strings along with your customer's hard disk serial number and using complicated encryption algorithms from System.Security.Cryptography namespace, it generates a customer reference for the customer, you have to display this reference to your customer, the customer then has to contact you and quote the Reference he/she's been given. Using the reference provided, AppName, Password, and a Hash Algorithm you specified the SoftwareLok Key-generator generates a unique Serial Key, which you have to give to your customer to unlock his/her software. Thus, by supplying your custom appname and password, you protect your software from other SoftwareLock users. By using your customer's unique Hard disk serial, you protect your software from un-authorised copying and make it unique to the machine it was initially registered on! Please note that SoftwareLock uses a logical disk drive's serial number supplied by the operating system when the disk was formatted, NOT the manufacturer's serial number! So if your customer has to format his drive for some reason, you will have to generate a new serial key based on the new hdd serial number, or your program won't run. while developing SoftwareLock I first tried to let it use the Manufacturer's HDD serial no, using System.Management, and WMI Queries. But later i realized that the the method i was using only worked on WinXP and Win2000 operating systems. I haven't yet figured out an API approach to the problem. If you know anything, please share it with me!!! Thank You.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.