Important alert: (current site time 9/2/2014 4:47:56 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Convert_It!

Email
Submitted on: 6/1/2011 5:49:23 PM
By: Morgan Haueisen  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 30 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 15748

is an easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most popular units of acceleration, angle, distance, temperature, volume, time, velocity, weight, power, density, pressure, energy, number base and many others, including the ability to create custom conversions. It also remembers the last user input for each group. ----------------------(UPDATE: 6/1/11 - Added special conversion for liter/100km)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 28 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

3/3/2006 12:52:44 AMVasilis Vasileiadhs

could you please upload the exe somewhere?
i'm using DevCpp for my (C++) Projects, and i don't have MS Vs 6.0 (too expensive), so would you mind uploading the compiled exe on a server of yours? or anywhere on this earth? :P

Thanks
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

3/3/2006 12:56:51 AMRussell Sanders

Looks good Thanks.

3/3/2006 12:11:08 PMRobert Rayment

Excellent ***** Where did you get all those conversions from? Suggestions if you want them:-
- 1. Clear clipboard key because after a result is saved it wont save another, if I've got it right.
- 2. Also send the input/output types and entries to clipboard
- 3. Maybe save the result to a file.

3/3/2006 12:25:03 PMRobert Rayment

Amend Clipboard clear, probably finger trouble, it does clear first.

3/3/2006 6:34:52 PMRussell Sanders

Great Code Thanks. Take the five *****

3/4/2006 12:14:54 AMScorcel

I love it!!! its the same as Master Converter.. 5 globes 4 you!

3/4/2006 5:46:26 AMgeorges

Fine coding. For those who are no using decimal point --> GetSetting = Replace(GetSetting, ".", ",")

3/4/2006 4:10:41 PMSPY-3

I am having problems with the frames... It steals all my clicks and everything making it so i cant even click anything...

3/4/2006 4:15:56 PMSPY-3

Oh for me to get it to work i had to make it an exe. Geeze theres alot of things you can convert with it! Good job 5 globes!

3/5/2006 2:01:58 PMRuturaj

I'm having Problems with Frame. It shows a complete black BG with frozen controls placed on Frames when I run from IDE. I can't click anything. And when I compiled it to EXE, it did not run at all. Any suggestions?

3/6/2006 2:23:32 PMBob

This is very good. I vote *****, more if I could.

The code runs fine in the IDE but when I make an EXE, I get "out of memory" error. It will run fine in Win 2000 compatibility mode.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get it to run in Win XP Pro SP2?

3/8/2006 2:19:35 PMBob

It ran on another computer without a problem. So, the problem isn't with the code. Maybe I have a real memory problem.

3/15/2006 10:52:33 AMSpector

Nice work Morgan, very useful indeed!

3/16/2006 2:10:25 PMSpector

Another great follow-up program to this would be a currency converter with the ability to download current exchange rates from the internet.

3/19/2006 2:02:02 PMHG

Excellent program. I work in the energy area and I'm always having to explain therms, btus, barrel, etc. Being able to convert those to kw hours is great.

3/26/2006 6:11:15 PMBob

I believe the value for Radian is off one digit in the 8th decimal place. Shouldn't it be 0.01745329..... instead of 0.01745328.............??

3/27/2006 9:27:23 AMMorgan Haueisen

You are right, but to keep the accuracy the actual number should be 0.0174532925

5/31/2006 9:22:42 AMRob C

I too have a problem.
It runs in the IDE ok.
When I make an exe, and run it, I get an error sound. The splash screen appears briefly, and nothing else appears.
I am running in XP Pro, with 256 mb memory.

10/17/2006 2:15:49 PMMorgan Haueisen

If you still have problems running it compiled then remove the call to ManifestWrite

10/18/2006 8:49:47 PMPaul Bahlawan

That is really good! I'm sorry I missed this when first submitted. What about MPG <-> L/100km? Cheers.

10/19/2006 6:51:28 PMMotahar Hussain Hira

It looked very interresting to me. I Dowlnoaded N Ran. My Interface gets not so cool as Illustration moreover I cannot Use any functions or Controls. All are locked. Dont know Why.

10/20/2006 2:25:20 AMGlen Marsham

Very good neat code
a comparison program is at http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=51214&lngWId=1

Yours
does temperatures accurately but the other one allows you to add your own groups of conversions.

10/20/2006 8:16:27 AMT Jackson

I would have called this the 'Only Conversion Utility You'll Ever Need' Incredible amount of work in this. *****

10/20/2006 9:39:52 AMRandy Gomez

My ***** for this one - I have a shortcut to it on my desktop. Nice work Morgan!

2/4/2007 2:32:20 AMShad4Ever

Any computer set using , as decimal symbols will not interpret after the decimal number treating the number as a standard integer resulting in wrong results

9/12/2008 7:39:13 PMKenneth Foster

Removing all the frames took care of all the problems with display.The trouble seems to be in the frames uc property CollapsibleColor .Its not reading or writing the desired color.Other than that great job.

9/13/2008 10:18:13 AMKenneth Foster

Patch of the black background.In the read properties of the frame uc, at the bottom right after End With and before Exit Sub, add DrawControl. Hope this helps.

9/15/2008 8:50:39 AMMorgan Haueisen

Kenneth, I am not sure why that is necessary (I have used this control in many projects with not problems) but I have made the change.

9/16/2008 4:09:13 AMPaul Turcksin

Excellent research: didn't know of the existance of (too) many measures. Just spliting hairs: are negative weights, velocity, ... possible?
Anyway: your well deserved @@@@@

9/17/2008 3:57:11 PM0x34

Very nice code! 5 from me!

9/24/2009 7:03:30 AMvijay ramteke

I want presure conversion vb code for
kg per sq. cm to pounds per sq. inch .
if any vb code pls specify me on my mail ID

2/13/2010 1:09:16 AMraya2mq

Thanks for sharing, I will surely learn something from your code. 5***** from me

7/16/2010 4:37:54 PMThePiper

That's a great application. Thanks a lot for sharing!

5/13/2011 11:20:32 AMRandyT_CS

'BUG - May:2011
'rVal() truncates exponent part of any value entered in exponential format.
In the immediate window evaluate: Print rVal(-34.1234E-23)
... you get -34.123 instead of -3.41234E-22
This causes wrong values to be calculated for the mdblInput variable in the the lstInput_Click() event (if that variable was entered in exponential format in the Convert_It.dat file.
This problem can be quick-fixed by substituting the Val() function instead.
Also values less than absolute zero can be entered into temperature conversions.
Other than these issues - nice program design and great looking interface!

5/23/2011 6:52:05 AMPaul

I just tried converting 35 mile per gallon (UK) to litres per 100Km and got 1239.02166491084????

I don't think so!!!

5/26/2011 10:16:52 PMRandyT_CS

Paul Wrote:
I just tried converting 35 mile per gallon (UK) to litres per 100Km and got 1239.02166491084????
I don't think so!!!

Paul, I never noticed that!
Come to think of it, 'mile per gallon' and 'litres per 100Km' are not even in the same unit category!
'mile per gallon' = Length/Volume and 'litres per 100Km' = Volume/Length.

From the look of it, 'litres per 100Km' should not be included in the list.

5/29/2011 11:34:26 AMandrew

HI

if you want to add more conversions take a look at www.onlineconversions.com

Andrew

5/30/2011 11:27:57 AMPaul Bahlawan

Too bad about the Liters/100km because that is the standard measure of fuel consumption in Canada, Australia and much of Europe.

5/31/2011 2:18:08 PMMorgan Haueisen

Paul, The 'Consumption" group is special. You can not convert between items marked (US) and (UK). If you need the Liters/100km then you can add it.

6/2/2011 11:44:56 AMPaul Bahlawan

Well, it looks like it is in there and working fine now! Hmm, seems I forgot to vote back in 2006.

5/13/2012 10:30:16 AMRob C

Morgan,
I belong to a group that discuss software (they are not programmers), and give each other a 'heads up' on free software.
Today they were discussing a conversion program, and three members said they use -
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
I think they may prefer your program.
Can I compile it and distribute it amongst the members ?
Thanks,
Rob

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.