Important alert: (current site time 12/18/2014 10:34:11 PM EDT)

winzip icon

Isometric Game Graphics Engine [Fully Documented, uses DirectX]

Email
Submitted on: 8/27/2002 3:09:00 AM
By: Wouter Lievens  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 21 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 7673
author picture
(About the author)

This is a Class Module that contains an entire Isometric Graphics Engine (1300+ lines of code) powered by DirectDraw (DirectX). It's written abstract, by the rules, yet very readable and understandable. Source code is fully documented (took me nearly 2 hours to document) plus three page manual.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 5 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

8/27/2002 3:25:01 AMSebastian Mares

Great for creating Sim City kind of games! 5 globes from me.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

8/27/2002 3:41:33 AMWouter Lievens

Thanks man!

I hope someone looks into the code as well, because it could use optimization!

8/27/2002 4:30:44 AMWouter Lievens

saving bug is fixed

8/27/2002 5:55:57 AMWouter Lievens

By the way if you want to play the game made with this Engine go to http://users.belgacom.net/purgatory/RPG/rpg.html

8/27/2002 8:45:44 AMBrian

Excellent code. Only optimization suggestions are in DrawMap to save ObjectSpriteList(.SpriteID) into a variable, and in ConfineCoordinates to save each property of VectPos and DrawRect into variables and reference those. I'd focus on DrawMap and ConfineCoordinats since they're called many, many times in loops. Code looks fantastic- pretty easy to read considering all the stuff it's doing.

8/27/2002 9:19:32 AMWouter Lievens

Thanks for the positive response. I've made the change to drawmap, but it's not really drawmap that is called so oftenly, it's drawtile. I really need to optimize there. I also need formulae for defining the vision range.

8/27/2002 9:22:48 AMDennis Meelker

This is...its just...KEWL!!!! Good work man! 5 globes from me ;)

8/27/2002 9:54:27 AMMichael P Gerety

Beautiful ;-)
And there's code this time :) heh.. I love the engine, and this was exactly my point about posting code before release, you've got people suggesting optimizations and helping you streamline your code.. You get 5 globes for this tho.. Looks great.. Can't wait to see improved versions, and the finished RPG!

8/27/2002 11:27:10 AMHavok

and see advertising at vbgamer and other sites is better then posting junk here and getting flamed for it, aint it?

8/27/2002 2:46:05 PMAaron Morris

Nice engine !!!! 5 G's

8/27/2002 5:43:53 PMWouter Lievens

Yeah guys, thanks for making me change my mind about abusing PSC for advertising.

And above all else, thanks for the positive comments and votes. Now please look at my source and help me optimize! :-) I could use some super code to get the viewrange bounds correct...

8/28/2002 11:58:08 PMIzek

i havent tried the code because unfortunately i dont have vb6, i use vb.net but i read through the comments and it seems to have gotten good responces, but thats not the point. Somewhere in the comments it said something like "it could be used to make simcity type of games", which is exactly what i am looking to make, i have written down detailed game information and how its going to work and everything, but unfortunately i dont have the time to work on it all bymyself and im not good with graphical games. I am looking for a team of experienced programmers to create a an intresting multiplayer online simcity type of game consisting of many many intresting features. if anybody is intrested in working on the project pelase email me at izek.programmer@verizon.net

8/30/2002 7:58:54 PMFireStarter

yea best iso engine i ever seen open sourced but the web page isnt woking :(

8/31/2002 3:53:48 AMWouter Lievens

Mmm... try this direct link instead.

http://users.belgacom.net/purgatory/RPG/downloads.html

8/31/2002 6:19:09 AM

thx but is there any sample open source game for this engine couse im not good at writing bitblt and bla bla im to young :(

8/31/2002 8:57:21 AMWouter Lievens

It doesn't use BitBlt, it uses DirectX, but the programmer who uses this engine does not have to consern him with that!

The Engine provides sample code for changing focus and adding dynamic objects. If you've got any specific questions, just ask away!

8/31/2002 9:01:13 AMWouter Lievens

If you guys want me to create a sample game, please do some kind of a vote. Everybody put some basic ideas here and I *might* create the basics of such a game and put them online. Examples are: city building game, wargame, etc...

8/31/2002 10:51:11 AMAlain Van Hout

The indicative word here being 'might' ;-) no seriously, it's a good idea. Once he gets into it, the game would be operational in no time flat.

Excellent engine. The game is not bad as well :-) it looks even better when you play it than what the screenshots show.

I would invite everyone to take a look at it. The site is mentioned above.

9/7/2002 9:12:42 AMAdam Hall

Brilliant. I award 5 globes. And sure a sample game would be cool!

9/8/2002 7:01:36 PM

I think a sample game would be great, I vote for a war game.

9/8/2002 7:04:13 PMWouter Lievens

just one note, whatever I make it aint gonna be multiplayer cos thats a lot more work :-)

1/10/2003 1:41:14 PMAlain Van Hout

Update:

Wouter and I have improved the engine a lot since he put it here. We will be implementing the enhancements in Tokratan somewhere in the beginning of februari. If you're interested ... come see by then. The url: http://tokratan.tk

Greets - Alain

11/11/2004 4:10:26 AMDr.Database

After almost 2+ years ... you are still the best isometric engine author my friend.. after googling the whole cyber globe and bookmarking the half billion pages to find a good starting isometric game engine... i found nothing but your code. For those who think net is a an infinite knowledge heap .. net is a heap of worthless info.... but still one can dive to retrieve a jewel like this.

11/11/2004 5:47:37 AMWouter Lievens

Wow thanks for the compliments man :-)
I'm glad to see somebody still likes and uses this.

If you want to see what we're currently doing, take a look at http://tokratan.sourceforge.net

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.