Important alert: (current site time 7/30/2014 2:46:02 AM EDT)

Third Party Product Review:
Reviews are a new feature of Planet Source Code that allow site visitors to share their experiences on commercial third party products in real life situations.

article

Gotcha with Server Object's ASPMail component

Email
Submitted on: 11/9/2002 11:53:12 AM
By: Ian Ippolito (vWorker)  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: Unrated
Compatibility: ASP (Active Server Pages), HTML
Views: 12483
author picture
(About the author)

A company called Server Objects makes a very popular 3rd party component for ASP called ASPMail (and ASPQMail) that many ASP developer use. I've used this product myself for over 3 years with no problems, but just ran into a huge gotcha that every developer using their product should know about.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this review, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use any of the code in this review in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this review (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this review from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the review or review's description.

Like I described above, I've used the ASPMail component from Server Objects for a number of years on both Planet Source Code and Rent a Coder.  I've used it to send out over a hundred thousand emails a day, and until recently had absolutely no complaints about it (except that it was sometimes a bit slower than I would have liked).

However, recently I ran into a HUGE gotcha with it, that everyone should know about.  About a week ago, people on the Rent a Coder mailing list people started complaining that they weren't getting their newsletters. The program wasn't bombing, so I was stumped at first.

After investigating further, I discovered that ASPMail was returning an odd message "paragraph too large"...and simply not sending out the message.  My message was over 138,000 bytes (due to the growth of new bid requests on Rent a Coder) and by doing a little experimenting I found that messages about 123,000 bytes or so would cause this to occur. 

I hunted up and down the manual for a way to get around this limitation but found nothing.  I also sent an email to ASPMail support, but as of this writing has not yet received a reply.

Since the show had to go on, I searched the NET for another SMTP component without such a limitation and found an interesting replacement.  Software Artisans (best known by ASP developers probably for SA-FileUp...a file uploading component) also develops an SMTP component.

They must be gunning for Server Objects, because the interface for the component was exactly the same as ASPMail!  What this meant for me was that it took seconds to switch to it: all I had to do was change the CreateObject to the new ASPMail defenition and it worked like a charm!

The Software artisans SMTP component didn't have the limitation and is actually a bit faster, so at this point I'm happy to have made the additional investment and made the switch (it was about $125). 

If I run into problems with this component, I will be certain to keep you apprised!

Other 34 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this review (in the Beginner category)?
(The review with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

11/10/2002 3:43:56 AM

I've had the same message
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

11/10/2002 6:24:51 AMblack dog webmaster

Good catch Ian and thanks for the

11/10/2002 6:25:46 AMblack dog webmaster

oops...are you trimming comments in dble quotes ?
Should read thanks for the 'Heads-Up'
:0)>

6/5/2003 9:14:18 PM

Check out dundas mailer - good, fast and free

2/18/2004 9:59:41 AMckyweriga

How are you able to send 100,000+ emails per day?

How long does it take to send this many emails?

I am a program owner and have been trying to figure out the best way to send a mass emailing to all my members and can't seem to figure out the best and fastest way to do this.

2/18/2004 10:04:52 AMIan Ippolito (RAC)

The key is to have alot of bandwidth (we have 5 T1s currently) and to send it out slowly throuhout the day. Good luck. ;)

Ian

10/18/2006 5:38:19 PMJoe

OK - ran into the same thing. Even though I have a license, Server Objects tech support did NOT get back to me. Even more, their web site is a mess, so I wonder if they are still even in business. That said - I found a fix for this! Turns out "Paragraph is too large" it is not because the page size is too big. It's because the string of text is going on too long and the line is too wide. Add a "VBCrLf" every now and then and your set. Whew.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular review, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.