By: Rde 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 8 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 6972
author picture

Callers Add-in [Update 3.6 - Sept 4, 2016]

DETAILS:

This is a quite simple VB add-in that adds something I've sometimes needed as projects get too large and complex ... It adds a couple of entries to VB's code pane context menu so that when you right-click within a procedure (or on a declare) and select 'Callers' you get a popup menu listing all other routines in the project that call this code member ... It displays which routines reference any particular code member in the project, and allows you to select one to go to it - and a second entry called 'Callee' to go back if you wish.

FEATURES:

Callee's include all procedures, API declares, Enums and Types, module level constants and variables, Implemented classes and Raised Events ... Also identifies parent Type or Enum when right- clicking on one of their members ... Finds public Enums of classes without being qualified by class name ... Also adds a 'Clear' menu item to the Immediate Window ... Added by request display all members of the current code module.

HOTKEYS:

• Display Callers..      Alt+F2
  • Jump to next Caller..  Alt+F3
  • Return to Callee   Alt+Win+F2

UPDATE 3.5:

Added another HotKey:   Alt+F3

Pop-up menu is limited to 200 entries, but all hits are kept and can be iterated by stepping thru the code with the new HotKey. You can hit Alt+F2, then dismiss the menu with Alt(again)+F3, and step thru all hits with Alt+F3. You must try it!

UPDATE 3.6:

Minor update allows returning to all Callees. I'm often finding Callers of Callers and then unable to return to the starting Callee. Previous Callees will eventually become out of sync as changes are made to the code, but no errors will occur. Also available by repeating the Alt+Win+F2 HotKey.

Bug reports or suggestions for improvement welcome.

COMPILE:

Just compile the project to automatically add the add-in to VB and get two new menu items 'Callers' and 'Callee' on the code context menu ... If you have compiled a previous version just compile again with no VB IDE's open by selecting 'Make' on the Caller.vbp's right-click context menu in explorer ... 22 kb zip.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 15 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

6/17/2016 9:40:14 PMdave Carter

This is an excellent Add-In, I use it all the time :D
Thanks Rohan
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

6/30/2016 9:17:22 AMRde

Hi Dave

I agree I use this all time,

Should have been part of VB

7/2/2016 9:41:40 PMdave Carter

Indubitably

8/20/2016 8:13:01 AMRobert Rayment

Res file missing ?

8/21/2016 5:28:30 PMRobert Rayment

All OK now with new download.

8/23/2016 6:37:32 AMRde

Thanks for the heads-up Rob

Happy coding,
Rd :)

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.