winzip icon

Windows 10:[2019 update] System Agent renamed (Windows Information Provider)

Email
Submitted on: 8/12/2019 10:33:09 AM
By: A_X_O 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 6 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 22035

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment, or vote on the code

Drives: Drive, Label, File System, Serial...
Object Search: Object Name, DOS Path, Extension...
System: Description, Bootup State, Manufacturer...
Services: Service Name, ProcessID, State...
Accounts: Domain, Account, Password Required...
Software: Program Groups, Reliability Records, Installed Software...
Registry Search: Search Keys, Value, Data
Processes: Command Line, Handle, Parent ProcessID, ProcessID...
TCP/UDP Tables: TCP/IP V4 & V6 Raw Data, UDP/IP V4 & V6 Raw Data
Peripherals: Keyboard, Pointing Device, Sound Card...
Recycle Bin Info: Item Count, Size
Processor: Current Clock Speed, Manufacturer...
Memory Info: BankLabel, Capacity, Manufacturer...
Security Settings: Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus...
WMI Folder Listings: Details of Directories from WMI
WMI File Listings: Details of Files from WMI
View Hidden Object Status: View and Set Hidden Object Status
Common Folders: Quick Access to Common Directories

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 25 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Beginner category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

5/27/2016 11:18:23 AMdave Carter

Nice :)
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

7/13/2017 6:46:24 PMEvariste Galois

Part 1: Please pardon the length ~ everyone reading this: please join in - I'm not into flaming (but I can hold my own) . This isn't a game of chess, where one must win and the other lose, but a symphony playing a concerto - things are better when there's a spirit of cooperation.

Nice work! That said, I gave you a grade of "Good" not "Excellent". Why not ? To acquire an an "Excellent" [from me] is a much, much tougher challenge.

WMI can be spoofed. Your code is fine for doing on-site inventories to avoid cracking the cover; however, there's something more powerful: [without using WMI] retrieving & storing the information.

7/13/2017 6:48:27 PMEvariste Galois

Part 2: One language (C#) can retrieve hardware natively). One challenge is to figure out how much data appears to define a unique machine (compared to any other machines). If you compare anything & everything 1::1, what happens if they switch out a piece of hardware? e.g. if they have a bad piece of hardware and it's swapped out; such as adding memory or a second HD, or a USB-connected, portable HD which is on|off one process and the opposite during a later execution), which means you'd have to to uninstall the license count to free up a seat on the license, deactivate the license for the altered machine, then download and reactivate it on the "new" machine (or machine') if you prefer. You'd probably have to decide what you're willing to use as a unique system -- I'd retrieve everything you could and store it for posterity.

Why be able to avoid spoofing with hardware serial numbers? Not only PSC, but many other locations are legion,

7/13/2017 6:50:01 PMEvariste Galois

(Part 3) with people trying to claim they've written perfect means to determine (and block) someone from downloading more copies of a product than their license allows|permits...relying [solely] upon IP addresses is •not• a good thing (which many people do know).

How about taking the approach of law enforcement? Use fingerprints to uniquely identify machines, store the info, and when someone tries to install the software, it would be a matter of retrieving their hardware serial #s, check the license, and if they've already used their quota (regardless of whether it's 1 or 50), tell them they need to remove one of the licenses, and then they can move forward with the install process.

7/18/2017 7:39:24 PMA_X_O

Evariste Galoise.
Thank you for your comments (All of them)

I will leave all of what you have written and not delete anything.

Thank you for voting on the code.

8/7/2019 8:13:12 AMDave Carter

@A_X_O
Many thanks for this update, what an excellent project, and so much work!
Very much appreciated :D
Dave

8/8/2019 12:22:56 AMA_X_O

Your welcome Dave

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.