Important alert: (current site time 10/22/2014 3:38:54 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Simple 3D Metasequoia Model Viewer

Email
Submitted on: 5/17/2010 8:45:29 AM
By: vbinterface  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 2 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 11942
author picture
(About the author)

This is a 3D model viewer for Metasequoia models having basic rendering functionality. Metasequoia is a simple yet very powerful 3D modeler with lots of 3D modelling tools. The application helps you to understand parsing 3D object files which are in ASCII format. Also you will learn how to implement 3D transformation, flat shading, etc. One of the new feature added is, use of beautiful images to create very impressive looking slider buttons for horizontal scroll bars. I am sure you will certainly love it. Much of my attention while developing application is always on keeping the code small and compact as well as designing distinctively good looking user interfaces. Such an approach always ends with complex logics, but I enjoy it. My previous posts did not yield good votes/comments. I do not know why. If some-one can let me know the reason behind this, please comment. Although I don't care about votes, I do appreciate comments because it is just like an feedback to me. And votes will let me know if I have worked well on my applications. I hope you will like my 2D/3D graphics related submissions. Happy coding :)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 4 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

8/10/2010 2:44:24 AMvbinterface

Dear Admin / Moderator,

Since I could not find any other way to communicate with PSC, I am writing this. I did posted my query in the discussion forum, but it did not helped.

Past week has been very frustrating regarding my submission entitled "Data Visualization"
This project was submitted a lot of days ago, and it is not yet posted to the public.
Can someone please point me out what went wrong from my side ?

The following is the URL I got when I searched on Google for my submission which states that "This code has not yet been processed and posted to the public."

http://www.planet-source-code.com/URLSEO/vb/scripts/ShowCode!asp/txtCode Id!73263/lngWid!1/anyname.htm

I
would be very grateful to know the reasons for the delay in public posting of my code.

Thanks in advance.
vbinterface.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

1/14/2011 4:12:53 PMdan

I'm intrigued by your metasequoia software in vb6.0. I’m a self taught hobbyist (with 3d graphics). Your simple viewer does a lot of work with relatively few lines of code. I realize you’re using directX at least the data structures and transformations maybe some other things but, I have not looked deeply yet. I can tell your code is organized for more sophisticated viewing and your description briefly mentions other advanced features.
I was wondering if there is a more advanced version of code I can have. Your code will be used for my own study and wont be used for any commercial or public use.
Thanks,
Dan V.
JustOatmeal@aol.com

1/19/2011 7:44:16 AMvbinterface

@dan,
Thank you for your interest in the code. Yes, I agree with you that there can be a lot advanced viewer. Especially as far as different shading techniques are concerned. Also, things get a little complicated when dealing with curved surfaces (NURBS patches, etc..) Textures are not a big problems. Unfortunately, I did not wrote any advanced version than this, though I plan to near future with more focus on true cartoon shading which I am desperately interested in. Let me know about your projects too. Good Luck.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.