VB icon

Dynamic, Sortable, Pageable, HTML table from a SQL statement

Email
Submitted on: 1/5/2015 2:09:00 PM
By: Devin Garlit (from psc cd)  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 6 Users
Compatibility: ASP (Active Server Pages), HTML, VbScript (browser/client side)
Views: 1530

This is code for a dynamically created, sortable, pageable HTML table, this is a pretty stripped down version. Real simple, just call the procedure where you want the table, pass it a connection object and a SQL string, it will create an ADO recordset and fill it into an HTML table, it will be fully pageable and sortable by clicking the column head. You can also have the values in one column linkable to another page,(example being you have an offer number and you click it to go to a details page) You input the records per page, default sort order, and the HTML tables attributes. This can be easily made to incorporate images for column heads and for navigation buttons(maybe i'll post that later if this get a good response) Please email me with any questions.

code:
Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

'**************************************
' Name: Dynamic, Sortable, Pageable, HTML table from a SQL statement
' Description:This is code for a dynamically created, sortable, pageable HTML table, this is
 a pretty stripped down version. Real simple, just call the procedure where you 
 want the table, pass it a connection object and a SQL string, it will create an 
 ADO recordset and fill it into an HTML table, it will be fully pageable and sortable
by clicking the column head. You can also have the values in one column linkable to 
another page,(example being you have an offer number and you click it to go to a details page) You input the records per page, default sort order, and the HTML tables attributes. 
This can be easily made to incorporate images for column heads and for navigation buttons(maybe i'll post that later if this get a good response) Please email me with any questions.
' By: Devin Garlit (from psc cd)
'
' Inputs:objConn = a connection object
strSQL = a string of SQL
strDefaultSort = a string of the default sorting column (i.e "FirstName")
intPageSize = integer of the number of records per page
strLinkedColumnName = a string of the colum to place a link on
strLink = a string of the page link
strTableAttributes = a string of HTML table attributes i.e. "name=myTable bgColor=steeleblue"
'
' Returns:writes a sortable, pagable html table fill with records from a query
'
' Assumes:This is not that visually appealing, just shows the basics.
'**************************************

'**************************************************************
'Function: createSortableList(objConn,strSQL, strDefaultSort, intPageSize, strLinkedColumnName,strLink,strTableAttributes)
'
'Returns: writes a sortable, pagable html table fill with records from a query
'
'Inputs:
'			objConn = a connection object
' strSQL = a string of SQL
' strDefaultSort = a string of the default sorting column (i.e "FirstName")
' intPageSize = integer of the number of records per page
' strLinkedColumnName = a string of the colum to place a link on
' strLink = a string of the page link
' strTableAttributes = a string of HTML table attributes i.e. "name=myTable bgColor=steeleblue"
'
'Sample Call:
'			createSortableList objConn,strSQL,"EmployeeID",3,"EmployeeID","employee_detail.asp","border=1 bgcolor='#cccccc'"
'
'Notes:
'
'			This is code for a dynamically created, sortable, pageable HTML table, this is
' a pretty stripped down version. Real simple, just call the procedure where you 
' want the table, pass it a connection object and a SQL string, it will create an 
' ADO recordset and fill it into an HTML table, it will be fully pageable and sortable
' by clicking the column head. You can also have the values in one column linkable to 
'			another page,(example being you have an offer number and you click it to go to a details page)
' You input the records per page, default sort order, and the HTML tables attributes. 
' This can be easily made to incorporate images for column heads and for navigation buttons(maybe i'll
' post that later if this get a good response) Please email me with any questions.
'
'Programmer: Devin Garlit (dgarlit@hotmail.com) 4/25/01
'**************************************************************	
sub createSortableList(objConn,strSQL, strDefaultSort, intPageSize, strLinkedColumnName,strLink,strTableAttributes)
		dim RS,strSort, intCurrentPage, strPageName 
		dim strTemp, field, strMoveFirst, strMoveNext, strMovePrevious, strMoveLast
		dim i, intTotalPages, intCurrentRecord, intTotalRecords 
		i = 0

strSort = request("sort")
		intCurrentPage = request("page")
		strPageName = Request.serverVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")

if strSort = "" then
			strSort = strDefaultSort
		end if

if intCurrentPage = "" then
			intCurrentPage = 1
		end if

set RS = server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset")

with RS
			.CursorLocation=3
			.Open strSQL & " order by " & replace(strSort,"desc"," desc"), objConn,3 '3 is adOpenStatic
			.PageSize = cint(intPageSize)
			intTotalPages = .PageCount							
			intCurrentRecord = .AbsolutePosition 
			.AbsolutePage = intCurrentPage
			intTotalRecords = .RecordCount
		end with
		Response.Write "<table " & strTableAttributes & " >" & vbcrlf

'table head
		Response.Write "<tr>" & vbcrlf
		for each field in RS.Fields 'loop through the fields in the recordset
			Response.Write "<td align=center>" & vbcrlf
			if instr(strSort, "desc") then 'check the sort order, if its currently ascending, make the link descending
				Response.Write "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& field.name & "&page=" & intCurrentPage & ">" & field.name & "</a>" & vbcrlf
			else
				Response.Write "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& field.name &"desc&page=" & intCurrentPage & ">" & field.name & "</a>"	& vbcrlf		
			end if	
			Response.Write "<td>"	& vbcrlf
		next		
		Response.Write "<tr>"

'records		
		for i = intCurrentRecord to RS.PageSize 'display from the current record to the pagesize
			if not RS.eof then 
			for each field in RS.Fields 'for each field in the recordset
				Response.Write "<td align=center>" & vbcrlf
				if lcase(strLinkedColumnName) = lcase(field.name) then 'if this field is the "linked field" provide a link
					Response.Write "<a href=" & strLink & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intCurrentPage & "&" & field.name & "=" & field.value & " >" & field.value & "</a>" & vbcrlf
				else
					Response.Write field.value
				end if	
				Response.Write "<td>" & vbcrlf
			next			
			RS.MoveNext
			end if
		next

Response.Write "<table>" & vbcrlf

'page navigation	
		select case cint(intCurrentPage) 
			case cint(intTotalPages) 'if its the last page give only links to movefirst and move previous
				strMoveFirst = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=1 >"& "First" &"</a>"
				strMoveNext = ""
				strMovePrevious = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intCurrentPage - 1 & " >"& "Prev" &"</a>"				
				strMoveLast = "" 
			case 1 'if its the first page only give links to move next and move last
				strMoveFirst = ""
				strMoveNext = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intCurrentPage + 1 & " >"& "Next" &"</a>"				
				strMovePrevious = "" 
				strMoveLast = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intTotalPages & " >"& "Last" &"</a>"
			case else 
				strMoveFirst = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=1 >"& "First" &"</a>"
				strMoveNext = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intCurrentPage + 1 & " >"& "Next" &"</a>"
				strMovePrevious = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intCurrentPage - 1 & " >"& "Prev" &"</a>"		
				strMoveLast = "<a href=" & strPageName & "?sort="& strSort &"&page=" & intTotalPages & " >"& "Last" &"</a>"					
		end select 

with Response		
			.Write strMoveFirst & " "
			.Write strMovePrevious 
			.Write " " & intCurrentPage & " of " & intTotalPages & " "
			.Write strMoveNext & " "
			.Write strMoveLast
		end with		

if RS.State = &H00000001 then 'its open		
			RS.Close
		end if
		set RS = nothing			
	end sub

Other 3 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Beginner category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.