Docking Menus and Toolbars

Email
Submitted on: 1/5/2015 1:22:00 PM
By: Mark Robert Strange (from psc cd)  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 13 Users
Compatibility: VB.NET
Views: 2652

Over the years, we've all become used to the Menubar/Toolbar user interface we commonly use in Microsoft's products, and during that time I had become increasingly miffed that despite the UI being a common part of the programs we use, the default implementation methods given to developers in Visual Studio are lackluster in comparison, and buying a third party control to achieve the same docking features can set you back several hundred dollars. After researching the problem at dozens of websites, I decided to take a look at some basic C# code that demonstrated an attempt to create docking toolbars. While the docking functionality itself was sound, it didn't produce the look and feel, wasn't feature rich, lacked some basic functionality and was limited because it didn't support docking menus. I decided to salvage what logic I could, rewrite the entire control set from scratch in VB, and expand on it's features and style. Instead of using toolbars, this example utilizes the newer ToolStrip and MenuStrip controls. Users can set the allowed docking regions of individual bars by right-clicking on the gripper or caption, use both the System and Professional rendering settings in the strip controls and implement the new functionality into an existing project with a minimum amount of work. Included in the demo project are MDI and SDI startup forms. Also, the new controls support the saving and loading of the bar positions in standard XML format. Have a terrific day and enjoy! :)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

1/2/2017 9:07:53 AMDavid

The link to the second submission by this author is broken.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

2/3/2017 9:50:22 AMEddie Bole

Looks good.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.