VB icon

Add to Favorites - Dynamically!

Email
Submitted on: 1/5/2015 11:43:00 AM
By: Matt Khoury (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 15 Users
Compatibility: ASP (Active Server Pages), HTML, VbScript (browser/client side)
Views: 870

After searching throughout the web for a JavaScript function that would add a web page to a users favorites folder, I grew increasingly impatient with the laziness of others code, (hey why re-create the wheel?) because others code only lets you add one page to a users favorites folder. Therefore, I created a DYNAMIC “Add to Favorites” function, that for example will add the web page where the code is located to the users favorites. Just create an include virtual, (for script) and insert the include onto all of your pages, or preferably if you have a header page include, just copy the code into that – and Voila! As long as you have the TITLE tags on your page, you’re set!

code:
Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

'**************************************
' Name: Add to Favorites - Dynamically!
' Description:After searching throughout the web for a JavaScript function that would add a web page to a users favorites folder, I grew increasingly impatient with the laziness of others code, (hey why re-create the wheel?) because others code only lets you add one page to a users favorites folder. Therefore, I created a DYNAMIC “Add to Favorites” function, that for example will add the web page where the code is located to the users favorites. Just create an include virtual, (for script) and insert the include onto all of your pages, or preferably if you have a header page include, just copy the code into that – and Voila! As long as you have the TITLE tags on your page, you’re set!
' By: Matt Khoury (from psc cd)
'
' Inputs:None, the code is very generic, so just copy the code as is.
'
' Returns:None, the code is very generic, so just copy the code as is.
'
' Assumes:You MUST have TITLE tags on your web pages! Also, make sure the TITLE tags are ABOVE your start JavaScript tag.
'
' Side Effects:None.
'**************************************

<HTML>
 <HEAD>
 <TITLE>ADD To Favs</TITLE>
 <SCRIPT language="JavaScript1.2">
 	var bookmarkurl = window.location.href;
 	var bookmarktitle = document.title;
 	function addfav(){
 	if (document.all) window.external.AddFavorite(bookmarkurl,bookmarktitle);
 	}
 </SCRIPT>
 </HEAD>
 	<BODY>
 		<A href="javascript:addfav()">Add page To favorites</A>
 	</BODY>
 </HTML>

Other 8 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.