Important alert: (current site time 10/20/2014 8:11:11 PM EDT)

VB icon

Quick fix for all Netscape related problems

Email
Submitted on: 12/9/2000 11:05:29 PM
By: SimonLa  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 18 Users
Compatibility: ASP (Active Server Pages)
Views: 17012
(About the author)

This code fixes *ALL* Netscape problems.

code:
Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

'**************************************
' Name: Quick fix for all Netscape related problems
' Description:This code fixes *ALL* Netscape problems.
' By: SimonLa
'
'This code is copyrighted and has' limited warranties.Please see http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=6410&lngWId=4'for details.'**************************************

<%
If InStr(request.servervariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT"), "MSIE") = 0 then 
	Response.Write ("<br><br><br><br><table border=1 align=center bordercolorlight='#990000' bordercolordark='#990000' cellspacing=0 cellpadding=30><tr><td align=center><font face='Verdana,Arial,Helvetica' size='2'><font color='#990000'>We're sorry, this web site does not support primitive browsers.</font><p>Get a <a href='http://www.microsoft.com/ie/'><b>real one</b></a> !</font></td></tr></table>")
	Response.End
End If
%>

Other 3 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

12/9/2000 11:13:38 PMCarl Mercier

Netscape is bad, VERY bad!!! I think it's about time for us to stop fixing our code to make them NS-Friendly. IE all the way!
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

12/10/2000 12:36:40 AMJon

Agreed! NS sucks! IE ROCKS!

12/10/2000 5:39:58 AMJJ

That's a good one. IE is still the best browser around.

12/10/2000 5:27:13 PMSimon

Yeah, you're right.

Have you try the new NS version ?... It's a real joke.

Let stop working for primitive browsers.

12/12/2000 3:48:39 AMChris

The censorship doing in this web site.
You know freedom of thought ???

12/14/2000 9:57:04 AMManas Tungare

Hi Simon!

With this script, aren't you locking out ALL other browsers except IE - you're not disallowing just Netscape?

And we, as designers, don't mind excluding users of a particular browser. But if you're running an online store, losing users means losing business. Are you sure you want to do that?

WebReference.com article, 13 July, 2000. Why you can't afford to do this

Kind Regards,
Manas.

12/14/2000 3:30:20 PMSimon La Rochelle

This script is *NOT* for e-commerce... but I use it on my customer's Admin section. In "private" section of web sites....

12/16/2000 3:57:36 PMDaniel Larsson

Well, i can't seem to understand why you would like to have this script on your page if you're lookin for the netscape users as well.

This code eliminates ALL netscape users!! And it DEFINATLY don't fix a single netscape problem. If you would like to change this script and fix all the netscape problems, you should make an if statement. IF they have netscape, THEN do this etc.

I rate it poor since it doesn't do what it is supposed to do...otherwise i think it's a good example of server variables.

12/20/2000 8:36:21 AMThomas Michael

I agree that Netscape bites a big one, but as a full time developer, I have no choice but to develop for both ends of the user base. Clients do not like to be told that they have to change what they are using. But this posting was pretty funny.

12/20/2000 10:10:44 AMSean Harrop

If anything, this posting is only a joke, pointing out that every time Netscape puts something out, it is not up to the current standards set by IE, and I found it pretty funny! I use a similar script in my corporate intranet, but would not suggest putting it on a web site unless you are using a IE specific page only, like if you are using XML or VML. For programmers who want to give the IE users all the goodies, but still want to present the bread and butter to netscape users, I would make an if statement that detects the browser is not IE and make it not display the IE only content... Just my oppinion...

12/24/2000 10:05:33 AMdonovan

i used to love netscape...when I was on a mac, had no programming experience , and what was page source? but man oghh man...it is true...NETSCAPE IS EVIL...i really wish it would just go away or get its $hit together...layers :0`~-_

12/27/2000 4:36:24 PMhuxa

to tell the truth, i like netscape, ie has too many bugs. netscape's main fault is the devs haven't implemented some standards right, like css, but when it comes to tables and such.. standard html, it's implemented well, and if you code your pages right ((close tags, nest them right.. etc..)) netscape can show pages great.. isn't like ie is that great, atleast netscape is open source, and isn't from my-your-soft..

12/28/2000 1:28:19 AMCarl Mercier

huxa: Could you please tell me 5 bugs you found in IE? I could point out TONS of bugs in NS. NS has a lot of bugs when it comes to SSL, and some VERY basic bugs too! IE is a far more complete browser overall. It is faster, has everything implemented right and pages look better in it. Who cares about NS being open source? I don't!

1/19/2001 3:47:30 AMJeroen Elias

Ehrrr... what about security bugs in IE? Dozens!!! Just take a look at the history of bugfixes of IE from 4.0 to 5.5 (look at msdn.microsoft.com)
Really scary ;-)
Nevertheless, Netscape is definitely dying. I liked NS in the past, but more and more (ugly programmed) web pages are around and NS doesn't display them right, or even not at all...
User percentages of NS are far far below the IE (I think about 5% NS users). Besides, every new PC nowadays have IE5.x already installed, if the buyer wants it or not ;-)
Just give it time.

2/18/2001 9:43:49 PMMike Kinasz

After trying out Netscape 6.01 just now It's obvious how bad I need this code now. Mozilla browsers suck. It's a shame because 4 or 5 years ago I was a die-hard netscape user. Oh well.

5/16/2001 2:37:05 AMShawn

Sorry if I'm wrong BUT - isn't both IE and Netscape derived from Mozilla which is open source? I'm nearly positive I'm right considering the fact that IE is identified as something along the lines of Mozilla/IE. This pretty much shows off the fact that both browsers were at one point susceptible to the same exact security-holes, it was just a matter of who had the developers that caught more of those holes and who did it quicker.

5/16/2001 2:37:40 AMShawn

Netscape CHOSE to create different standards, intentionally making your job as a Web developer and consumer even more difficult than what it already is.

Personally, I think that if Netscape wanted to be more popular, they should concentrate more on bettering their product rather changing the way the browser interprets HTML and the like. Enough with the resource-hogging, laggy, picture here & picture there, pretty icon menus interface - concentrate on the functionality of the product - not the form.

To common nowadays companies (including AOL - bah) are concentrating form over function rather than vica-versa.

4/3/2002 1:24:59 PMMadHtr

AOL ... now THERE is a truly evil company:)

7/26/2002 5:10:42 PMJonathan Epp

Pretty funny, I used a very similiar code on all pages of the corporate intranet site I designed last year.

2/11/2004 11:14:00 AM

Actually, what is pretty funny is reading all these old posts by IE fanatics that cannot comprehend ASP is a propritary, non-W3C approved method. A modern, open-standards, open-source browser shouldn't support it! They probably all use Moz1.6 now and don't even remember these posts. IE is only good behind the firewall for corporate apps. The security risk is too high.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.