Important alert: (current site time 11/1/2014 6:31:12 AM EDT)

winzip icon

OpenGL 3ds Model Viewer

Email
Submitted on: 6/5/2003 8:09:50 AM
By: Rajkumar B  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 10 Users
Compatibility: Microsoft Visual C++
Views: 38446

(Code updated on Feb 14th 2005)3ds Model Viewer has a set of classes that makes possible to load a 3ds file and to display it on a window using OpenGL. You walk through the 3D world using various controls. (Have Fun and DONT FORGET TO VOTE)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 5 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

6/7/2003 11:01:18 AMDream

Cannot open include file: 'Animation.h': No such file or directory
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

6/8/2003 4:02:29 AMRaj Kumar

Sorry for my mistake. I didn't included animation.h header file earlier. Now I've added it. Check the new one. At present the animation content in the 3ds file cannot be played. I'm just working on it. So intially I failed to include it. I placed the file in my include directory so I had no problems. Now it works fine. Check it out.

6/8/2003 7:22:13 AMDream

Cannot open include file: 'gl/glut.h' grrr

6/9/2003 8:12:36 AMRaj Kumar

glut.h is the graphics library utility toolkit that is freely avilable over the net. It can be found at "http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html". It has a header file which has to be placed in header files dir, the lib file in the lib diretory and a dll which will be hidden must be placed in the c:\windows\system dir. Then I think you can continue without any problem. That's it. Please check this and tell me about "3ds Model Viewer".

6/9/2003 2:01:33 PMDream

Thanks for your help Raj, Awesome!!!

7/26/2003 11:27:55 PM

jesus. this is what i call overkill.

8/27/2003 7:12:19 AM

Where to get park.3ds? not in zip file...

8/27/2003 1:04:03 PMRaj Kumar

park.3ds is just any .3ds file. you can use any .3ds file you like. Most 3D animation softwares provide options to export to .3ds file format(3DS MAX for eg.).

3/10/2004 7:25:59 PM

ok .. i make everything and when i start program and choose *.3ds file ... I see Only black screen. Why?

3/14/2004 2:27:01 AMRaj Kumar

You opened a .3ds file but see nothing, its because the object is displayed some where in the world and not in front of the camera. To see the object try navigating through the world.

5/23/2004 2:39:12 PM

Raj this is fantastic piece of code. I needed it badly for my game related work. You saved lot of my time. thanks buddy.

5/24/2004 2:47:18 PMRaj Kumar

I feel happy that my code helped you. Happy coding...

9/26/2004 12:31:57 PMAndrei Krotkov

Isn't this from gametutorials?

9/28/2004 1:55:02 AMRaj Kumar

Yes the basic work is from gametutorials. I learnt most of the stuff from there and gamedev. In addition i've tried to add animation in it, and added the code but didn't included in the project as I was in the developing stage.

10/3/2004 1:16:48 PM

I just downloaded the source, and... have to play the animation?

10/5/2004 3:12:36 AM

Nobady's listening :(((

2/14/2005 6:18:57 AMRaj Kumar

Sorry ya. Its late. The animation work is not complete. And i'm not working in it right now. But a new updated version of the code is added. Take a look...

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.