article

Intro to C/C++ Lesson 13: More on Functions

Email
Submitted on: 1/1/2015 7:50:00 AM
By: Alexander of CProgramming.com (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 3 Users
Compatibility: C, C++ (general)
Views: 1620

The reason I have placed this tutorial at the end of the list, rather than as an addition to my other lesson is simple, I don't want people who already read that tutorial to miss this!

The reason I have placed this tutorial at the end of the list, rather than as an addition to my other lesson is simple, I don't want people who already read that tutorial to miss this!

In lesson 4 you were given the basic information on tutorials. However, I left out two items of interest. First, when you declare a function you don't have to prototype it! However, you must give the function definition physically before you call the function. You simply type in the entire definition of the function where you would normally put the prototype.

For example:

#include <iostream.h>

void function(void) //Normally this would be the prototype. Don't forget to exclude the semicolon

//Only prototypes have semicolons

{

cout<<"HA! NO PROTOTYPE!";

}

void main()

{

function(); //It works like a normal function now.

}

The other programming concept is the inline function. Inline functions are not very important, but it is good to understand them. The basic idea is to save time at a cost in space.

How does an inline function make the program go faster? How does it make the program larger? Does this remind you of relativity? Inline functions are really a lot like a placeholder. Once you define an inline function,using the 'inline' keyword, whenever you call that function the compiler will replace the function call with the actual code from the function. How does this make the program go faster? Simple, function calls are simply more time consuming than writing all of the code without functions. However, to go through your program and replace a function you have used 100 times with the code from the function would be time consuming. Of course, by using the inline function to replace the function calls with code you will also greatly increase the size of your program.

Using the inline keyword is simple, just put it before the name of a function. Then, when you use that function, just pretend it is a non-inline function. For example:

#include <iostream.h>

inline void hello(void) //Just use the inline keyword before the function

{ //Note that this is a non-prototyed function

cout<<"hello";

}

void main()

{

hello(); //Call it like a normal function...

}

However, once the program is compiled, the call to hello(); will be replaced by the code making up the function. A WORD OF WARNING: Inline functions are very good for saving time, but if you use them too often or with large functions you will have a tremendously large program. Sometimes large programs are actually less efficient, and therefore they will run slower than before. Inline functions are best for small functions that are called often.

In the future we will discuss inline functions in terms of C++ classes. However, now that  you understand the concept I will feel comfortable using inline functions in later tutorials. 

At this point I do not wish to add something about classes that individuals could easily miss if they did not realize that the information was in the tutorial.

Other 10 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.