Bobo Bitmap Menus Simplified

Email
Submitted on: 2/1/2015 1:58:00 AM
By: MrBobo (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 20 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 917

There are quite a few submissions on PSC demonstrating the use of ownerdrawn menus. Most are very good, I voted for them ! However, for some folks they were a bit complex and hard to understand. I hope this helps clarify the process for less experienced coders. Most professional VB programmers have been doing this for years. This submission seeks to simplify, as much as possible, the process of converting VB menus to ownerdrawn menus. No side panels, crazy fonts/colors - just the default menu with a true color icon. This small module is a cut-down version of a template I wrote a long, long time ago. I hope I haven't introduced too many bugs in the process of simplifying it, but if I have they shouldn't be too major and the concepts involved are still well demonstrated. The tasks : 1. Locate all VBmenus on a form and determine thier actual handle according to Windows 2. Change the type of each menu to 'Ownerdrawn' 3. Subclass the form so we can respond to the messages 'WM_MEASUREITEM' and 'WM_DRAWITEM' 4. Use the API to print a caption and paint an icon, either Enabled/Disabled or Checked, in response to those messages.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 47 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.