article

Basics of C/C++: Part III--Loops

Email
Submitted on: 1/1/2015 7:23:00 AM
By: Alexander of CProgramming.com (from psc cd)  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 5 Users
Compatibility: C, C++ (general)
Views: 1274

This is the third installment of the Lessons in C programming tutorials created by me, Alexander. In this lesson I will cover loops. Loops basically do what it sounds like, loop. If you have read lesson 2 you should understand some Boolean expressions. If you do not, you should read it again. When working with loops it is important to understand truth and false. Maybe you should try doing some truth tables with problems.

There are basically 3 types of loops. FOR, WHILE, DO WHILE Each of them has their uses.  They are all outlined below.

FOR - FOR loops are the most useful type, I believe. The layout is for(variable initialization, conditional, incrementing variable) It is very versatile, and the layout can be changed somewhat. Basically, the variable initialization allows you to either declare a variable and give it a value, or give a value to another variable. Second, the conditional statement. What it does is it says that while the conditional is true then it would do what in is in the body. Third, the incrementing variable section. It does not have to increment a variable. It can decrement, which is subtracting one, or it can perform various other manipulations on the variable.

Ex. #include <iostream.h> //We only need one header file

void main() //We always need this

{
//The loop goes while x<100, and x has one

for(int x=0;x<100;x++)/*THE LOOP*/ //added to it every time the loops

{

cout<<x<<endl; //Outputting x

}

}

This program is a very simple example of a for loop. x is set to zero, while x is less than 100 do cout<<x<<endl; add 1 to x until the loop ends. Pretty simple to understand, but it is a very powerful loop, and much better than WHILE and DO WHILE loops.

WHILE - WHILE loops are very simple, but not as useful as FOR loops. The basic structure is...WHILE(true) then do whatever is in the body. The truth could be x==1 or while(x!= 7)  (x does not equal 7)

Ex. #include <iostream.h> //We only need this header file

void main() //Of course...

{ int x=0; //Don't forget to declare variables

while(x<100) //While x is less than 100 do

{

cout<<x<<endl; //Same output as the above loop

x++; //Adds 1 to x every time it repeats

}

}

This was another pretty simple example, but it is longer than the above FOR loop, showing why I like for better than while, though while is a very easy loop to use, so if you are having trouble then you can use it, but try to use for.

DO WHILE - DO WHILE loops are useful for only things that want to loop at least once.  Basically it goes DO { THIS } WHILE(TRUE) Now, it is your turn to try and do a loop! make a DO WHILE loop that does what the above programs do...output 0 to 99! It is not hard, if you have trouble email me at lallain@concentric.net and I will give you some help... Best of luck :)

Other 10 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.