Important alert: (current site time 10/26/2014 4:10:32 AM EDT)

winzip icon

ProcessXP

Email
Submitted on: 8/2/2005 10:12:27 PM
By: Alex Smoljanovic(aLeX^rS) 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 62 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 36596
author picture
(About the author)

ProcessXP – Advanced Windows NT Process Viewer. Through this application you can retrieve information on every processing PE Header File and window including but not limited to process specific/global memory utilization, PE Based or otherwise referenced (loaded) modules. Other functionality includes enumerating a specific processes window threads, retrieving process information based upon a specific window object and comprehensive system information including Port Resources, Services, System Devices {Disk partitions, Media Drives, Disk Drives, Floppy Controllers, IDE Controllers, Keyboards, Mother Board Devices, Network Adapters, Plug-n-play entities, POTS Modems, Printers, Sound Devices, Logical Disks, Parallel Ports, Serial Ports, USB Controllers, USB Hubs, Desktop Monitors, Video Controllers}, System Drivers, Time Zone Info, NT User Accounts, Processors, Basic Input Out System, Boot Configs, Logical Memory Configs, Operating Systems, Processes(Advanced), Environmental Variables, DMA Channels, IRQ Resources, Device Memory Addresses. ProcessXP and its accompanying System Information application use a CPP compiled GUI Standard Dynamic Link Library explicitly developed for ProcessXP and its components for drawing Vertical, Horizontal, Semi-radial horizontal gradients using predefined system colors, source code and compiled module also included. These three projects (ProcessXP (VB), System Information (VB), and GUI Dll(C++) consist of 9,964(excluding comments) lines of code including (vb) external function declarations(Resource files included(Icons/bitmaps) with the exclusion of the wav files as they are compiled in a .res file).Also included in this project: ProcessXP external sound server( Active-X Dynamic Link Library).This component is used for playing ‘explanation’ sounds on request by its client (ProcessXP), the wave file resources are stored in the DLL its self as resources, when the sound class initializes it loads these files as resources, retrieves the systems temp folder, and saves these file, on request it plays them using API function: sndPlaySound. On this sound classes termination it purges these files from the system. This method of distributing somewhat large wav files is for speed, also using options a client can disable ProcessXP from using the sound server, and so if the client wishes to do so then they are paying for what they don’t want by the speed of ProcessXP un-necessarily decreasing.Minimum Operating System required is Windows 2000(NT 5.0), although this application and its components were explicitly developed for Windows XP(NT 5.1). Attempting to execute this application or its components on an earlier version of NT or Win32’s or Win32 Windows will result in an incompatible operating system dialog.Files available on request: InstallShield Professional 7 skinned project files for ProcessXP and its components.This development of this application and its components consumed approx. Two and a half weeks of time.This is an advanced Open Source Code project.I hope this project is useful to you, thanks. Alex Smoljanovic. Instructions: See Intructions.txt...

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 10 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

1/13/2003 2:39:04 AMEdwin Vermeer

Great code. Massive. I already saw some parts that
I could use. Thanks. To bad you had so many upload problems. Otherwise you could have won the montly contest.

(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

1/13/2003 3:13:14 AM

Hey, it won't compile for me, lol. Contact me if you could.

1/13/2003 5:38:10 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Why won't it compile for you, can you be more specific and elaborate on the reason why(Any message VB gives you when it fails to compile)?

1/13/2003 7:30:04 PMBrian Nguyen

This is pretty nice *****

1/13/2003 7:42:03 PMAlex Smoljanovic

Thank you.

1/16/2003 12:50:01 PM

Okay, this is VERY sweet. Very sweet indeed.

I throw five globes on this one. I'm impressed. :-D

1/16/2003 8:58:58 PMBIOS from e-STI baguio

i cant download your zip file... PSC problem i guess

1/16/2003 9:09:10 PMBIOS from e-STI Baguio

ive just downloaded in your link address
http://pscode.com/upload/ftp/ ProcessXP1527891122003.zip

1/16/2003 9:11:01 PMAlex Smoljanovic

PSCode is having problems, I've tried uploading it several dozen times as have one of the administrators, for now download ProcessXP from http://pscode.com/upload/ftp/ProcessXP1529311142003.zip.

Thank you.

1/22/2003 9:10:40 PM

i tried to compile this and got a error saying 'Can not find project or library' and it loads References dialog with 'Missing: Salex software - ProcessXP SndServer'
Whats wrong? Help me...

1/22/2003 9:23:19 PM

SORRY, i got it worked. foolish mistake that i didn't read ur instructions. thankx

1/22/2003 10:27:12 PMAlex Smoljanovic

No problem, I'm glad that you asked a question before just discarding the project submission. Even though you solved you're own problem.

Thank you,
Alex Smoljanovic - Salex Software(c) 2003

2/10/2003 7:29:58 PM

Brilliant Simplicity!!

2/25/2003 1:19:55 AM

Great Code I gave you a 5 thanks for sharing it I would like to request the
InstallShield Professional 7 skinned project files.

Thank you very much

3/11/2003 5:47:23 AM

there is a problem in compiling "ProcXPGUI.dll"
0 errors 16 warnnings
and "ProcXPGUI.dll" can not be registed?
I dont know why?
Can you email me a good "ProcXPGUI.dll" please?
tnanks!

3/11/2003 7:26:53 AMAlex Smoljanovic

ProcXPGUI.dll does not need to be registered. It isn't an Active-X DLL, its a standard dynamic link library which exposes functions as external std calls. All you must do in-order for an application to call its functions is to place the dll in the system directory or in the same directory in which the application which is calling the functions resides. Please read the instructions enclosed in the ZIP file.

4/12/2003 5:15:56 PMLondoner

Anyone know where I can get some code to monitor processes running on a remote server?

4/19/2003 3:53:34 PMSebBloodG

This code is very nice. Thanks for the code.

5/31/2003 5:43:10 PMRobert N.

bigggggggg...but verry nice!

6/29/2003 9:57:49 PM

all of the GUI and Code are nice ,so i geive you five

11/2/2003 8:02:24 PMBadman

only one issue.... Dislike the font style and choice you made, but that is just because my personal choices are different, other than that, 5 globes (i would give more but 5 is the max)

11/27/2003 6:24:33 AM

EXCELLENT and Brilliant piece of work
Indeed!
Keep it up...

11/27/2003 10:09:46 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Thank you Sir. I appreciate you're comments.

12/2/2003 10:50:30 PMAlex Smoljanovic

This project submission is old and or obsolete.

If you have a request for a new full application then reply in this project thread with specifications. Also, if you wish. You may leave you're name and or company for which you represent to be included in the Credits of such an application which derives from you're idea.

Thanks, Alex Smoljanovic.

1/21/2004 8:08:29 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Thank you for your votes and comments.
They are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Smoljanovic.

2/21/2004 9:20:19 AM

good project - but aren't you reinventing then wheel? Ctrl-Alt-Del in XP gives you a list of all processes and the ability to terminate any of them

2/21/2004 9:38:55 PMPhilR

Sigh* Some people just miss the point. Yes you can view processes in XP - but think of the possibilities if you can see the processes (and get at them) etc etc in VB!!!
Alex, great submission, but even more, fantastic description. Very impressive. 5 from me.

2/21/2004 9:57:46 PMMike Morrow

When I try to run this, it asks for SndServer.dll. There is a message MISSING: Salex Software - ProcessXP SndServer. Can't find any reference in Google. What is this and where is it?

Would love to run this, looks great!

2/22/2004 12:48:18 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Mike Morrow.
The instructions are included in this archive in a file named 'Instructions.txt'.

There would be no reference on Google for this component, as this component is an Active-X Dynamic Link Library developed for this project specifically.

Please see 'Instructions.txt'.
Thanks,
Alex Smoljanovic - Salex Software(C)2004

2/23/2004 6:16:44 AM

Thought I knew may way around but, when I try to compile SndServer.DLL, I get the

2/23/2004 7:49:35 PMAlex Smoljanovic

Your full message was not included. Please re-post it.

Thank you,
Alex Smoljanovic - Salex Software(C)2004

3/4/2004 12:04:07 PM

This code kicks a$$... major a$$... so much a$$ in fact, that it can't even be measured on the a$$ometer. It's off the scale. 5 stars from me.

Excellent work!

3/4/2004 3:46:32 PMAlex Smoljanovic

Thank you for your comment and vote.
I appreciate it.

Thank you,
Alex Smoljanovic - Salex Software(C) 2004

3/28/2004 3:53:09 AMAdam Dale

THE CODE IS THE BEST ON P.S.C, 5 GLOBES!
www.try-buy-software.co.uk

7/18/2004 9:31:26 PMVeNoM

I've compiled the sndserver.dll (into the very specific folder since it never registered the classes), and stored the contents of the guicompiled.zip.RENAME file into the system32 folder.

Yet when I try to run to the program, it trys to reference a mainclass. (Perhaps you should include a sample exe) The code does look promising if it weren't complex beyond necessary ;)

7/19/2004 8:08:14 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Venom. The reason this problem occured is because the DLL you compiled is not compatible with ProcessXP. To remedy this problem, all one needs to do is open the ProcessXP Project, remove the reference to the missing sound server class. Save ProcessXP's Project file. Close VB IDE. Re-open the VB IDE and open ProcessXP's project file once again, add a new reference to the Sound Server DLL that you compiled your self. Compile or run ProcessXP in the Debugging evironment. I am sure you will have no problems.
If this explenation makes little or no sense to you, it is most likely because I haven't slept for 2 days and my sleep deprevation has just caught up with me. If you require further help e-mail, salex_software@shaw.ca or frog_prince@shaw.ca.

Thank you,
Alex Smoljanovic.

7/19/2004 8:17:26 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Also, I would like to appologize for my delayed response to your Feedback if there was any. Here is my explenation:
Spam Blocking software which I am developing was being tested at the time I would have received the notifcation via e-mail of your feedback. Unfortunetly it was blocked and compiled in a backup 'garbage' data dump archive which I was recently snooping in and found a string within named "User Feedback....". So it wasn't until now that I realize all of my PSCode User Feedback notification sent to me while my software was being implimented was blocked.
So once again I appologize, thank you.
Alex Smoljanovic.

1/22/2005 8:35:10 AMBramPelgrom

Nice GUI! 5 points from me

1/27/2005 5:22:04 AMAnuj Kumar Pandey

Well Guys.

Five Globe for you. But i guess if i can have the font size normal. Its realy hard for reading.

thanks
Anuj

3/10/2005 6:02:25 PM

Error: Can't find project or libary
File: mdlMainLM.bas
Line: 272
Code:
Global SICommandLine As Boolean, sndClass As clsMain, playSounds As Boolean, sndSupported As Boolean, playedTerm As Boolean

", sndClass As clsMain" <-- highlight error

what's wrong?

3/10/2005 7:54:53 PMAlex Smoljanovic

Please read the instructions.txt that is attached with the file for your answer.

This is not just one project, there is a soundclass project. It's an Active-X DLL which means it has to be compiled and then registered for other projects to reference it as COM Objects.

5/22/2005 1:42:23 AMAlex Smoljanovic

Sorry Anuj Kumar Pandey.
I realise the font is rendered differently on different platforms and according to certain Display Adapter settings such as Font Smoothing and the similar.

The choice was un-educated and hurried. This project ProcessXP was never suppose to be anything that would become something. This started out as a simple tool just for my self to use to locate the Modules popping up unsolicited advertisements at random times. Then I decided to make it a little 'more pretty' and more user-friendly.. I didn't work on it for a long enough time to build in certain options or even to finish the Help system.
But, I made this in 2003. So perhaps its time for a new version or atleast to finish it?

6/19/2005 4:58:37 PM

I guess the one bad vote was correct.

6/20/2005 1:19:11 PMAlex Smoljanovic

Actually I agree with you. lol.

8/19/2005 5:26:02 AMRickie

VERY WONDERFUL CODE!! Thanks for your hard work...

9/10/2005 11:36:15 PMAlex Smoljanovic(aLeX^rS)

Thanks for all the votes guys, 49 excellents out of 50.. Wow

I really should bring you guys an update, and make the code more friendly and re-usable. This is so old already lol.

Well hopefuly I will get some free time soon -.^

9/10/2005 11:42:53 PMAlex Smoljanovic(aLeX^rS)

And guys, please don't vote any more on this project. Look at my old code lol, I did this project so long ago, and only had like 2 weeks to make it. It's so sloppy, not OOP, and its far too large not to be. It's very sloppy code and I don't want to give any bad habbits to Newbie Programmers that don't understand why non object oriented code (at this size) is not good at all!

Please, if you must just download it, and learn what you can. But wait until I can update with a brand new 'Start From Scratch' Process Viewer, with properly formatted code and all OOP..
Then I won't feel guitly for getting such good responses and votes :(

Thanks for now -.^

6/9/2006 12:15:11 PMronald

thanks for a masterpiece that you've been done man..........
this is a powerfull code that i'm looking for...

9/29/2006 5:36:35 AMaLeX^rS

Thanks! :)

I was just googling 'ProcessXP'. Apparently there is an app called ProcessXP from sysinternals that is suppose to be a Windows Task Manager replacement.. I wonder what it's like and if it came out before mine did? :(

10/18/2006 2:38:38 AMManish

Hello Sir, i want to get id of mother board does it posible to get these

7/21/2007 9:53:11 AMjasonh

Well its 2007 and with updates ur software is outdated and doesnt compile, massive conflicts with xp itself and vista, time for a change.

1/16/2008 1:38:48 AMMike

You really need to use standardized indentation in your code. The code is nice, great job but it is a complete mess and extremely difficult to read. Anyway just a suggestion, it really helps when you follow the "rules" so to speak. nice job though, great work.

1/12/2010 1:58:29 AMMike Morrow

Have not looked at the source yet but, initially, I can't believe what you did in two weeks! You are a genius!!

In January of 2010, I finally found and ran this. All well except for a msgbox on startup: "There has been an error while retrieveing the systems global memory status. The memory update interval has been disabled."

Probably a mismatch after some update or the other. After OK'ing the box, it looks good except for being very small and somewhat transparent making it difficult difficult to read.

Was there ever an update to this code as mentioned above?

Great work!! Thanks. It gives a lot of source code to learn about the insides of the system.

Mike Morrow

8/6/2010 11:56:32 AMBui Study

ProcXPGUI.DLL is Error when i use ProcessXP1529311142003,
it is appear: Can't find project or library, Can you help me please

12/5/2011 3:45:32 AMferdie

Great code 5 globes

12/13/2011 4:43:23 AMYudha Tri Putra

cool code..i like it.. :)

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.