Important alert: (current site time 4/18/2014 1:14:21 AM EDT)

winzip icon

SMS Thru GSM Modem

Email
Submitted on: 11/12/2002 4:29:17 AM
By: Rajnikant 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 10 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 21559

I wrote this program for testing my Wavecom Modem which was used to collect data for Power Meters. As doing this was fun, I thought that other having similar modems can use this code for sending and receiving SMS on there computers. I have not commented the code as this was just for fun. This code can be modified to do some remote controlling work as i have tried to show in the example i.e. when u send an sms containg notepad the notepad.exe is run after the message is decoded. This was just for fun. If any help or details needed regarding the program u may as freely.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Beginner category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

11/16/2002 8:01:00 AM

This code is a great start for a project I am working on for the Sony/Ericsson T68i phone. I need the AT commands to communicate with the T68i. I am trying to get sms messages from the phone and place them into the textbox. Any Help available?
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

11/17/2002 12:24:54 AMRajnikant

I have forwarded the AT Command set for T68i to ur mail address. Refer it for further details.

12/16/2002 4:27:18 AMKerry B. Rogers

Was this just for fun? :)

12/16/2002 6:09:03 AMRajnikant

Yes it was just for fun :-) As my main application was Automatic Meter Reading for Electrical Metres not Sending SMS :-)

3/18/2003 8:28:11 AM

hello. I recently stumbled upon your code, and am having some difficulties with it. It always says "Modem not connected". Could you give some possible reasons for this. I have borrowed a wavecom modem to try it out, but it did not come with the modems drivers. Could this be the reason for the non detection? thx for the help.

3/19/2003 2:26:58 AMRajnikant

Sent an email to you please check it. Regds.

3/23/2003 3:42:28 AM

Have you wrote another programs for your my Wavecom Modem?
I have 2 Wavecom Modems, and There is no existing programs for them.

I would like make an interface with, level-meter, level of phones, level of mic, automatic response, etc etc

4/9/2003 8:37:56 PM

Nice code. I'm tryign to develop something similar myself (not as well as you), but I keep running up a against a few problems, and I'm not sure if your code addresses them.

1) It is possible for a message to be received that contains a vbCR as part of its message
2) It is possible for a message to be receieved (and an OnComm to be called) AFTER a a '>' has been sent back following an AT+CMGS= command, but BEFORE the text message part of the CMGS has been sent. I think this can cause a problem.

Would your code cope with these things ?

Similarly if a user presses the

6/21/2003 12:16:12 AMAndrew McGrath

Hey, i'm a bit of a noob so to speak in this field lol, and i was just wondering if you could send me some genral info on this. GSM...? lol..i am just looking for a replacment system of my old ICQ sms scheme and this looks like a good idea...if i knew how to use it lol! Any help would be loved! PS - email address is also my MSN address feel free to add me if you use it too!

8/1/2003 4:36:10 AMinet29

Hi there,
Could you please also send me the AT commands for T68i?
Thanks

9/17/2003 11:57:27 PMbyrdman

Me too pls. T68i at commands. thank u.

12/2/2003 9:37:16 PM

hi, i tried your code and keep getting the msg modem not responding. i am using a wavecom modem too. the commport is correct. apparently the modem does not respond with an OK when the "AT" command is sent. i tried with hyperterminal and it works fine. hope you can help me out...

1/30/2004 1:27:20 AM

Hi.
I tried your code. sometimes it works but most of the time it gives me the msg

1/30/2004 1:30:09 AM

Hi.
I tried your code. sometimes it works but most of the time it gives me the msg "modem not responsing". I tried the hperterminal and the modem works fine.
Could you offer me some help as I am currently using this code for my graduation project. hope to receive your reply as soon as possible. it's really urgent. Thanks

2/21/2004 2:57:09 AM

Hi,

May I know how do you detect that the message that you want to send has been sent out by the GSM modem as I am now trying to code for that?
Thanks for your help.

3/9/2004 4:27:47 AM

hi rajnikant,
thanks for your code. I want to ask something. it seem your code will detect new received message using "+CMTI" event. Why i didnt get that event? do i need to set +CNMI or +CNMA
I use nokia 30 gsm modem and I'm not quite understand its AT command guide.
five globe for u.

3/26/2004 3:43:53 AM

can anybody send me a code that would communicate with an iTegno GSM Modem. I wanted to develop an auto reply application integrated in a database. tnx

3/26/2004 3:47:39 AM

can anyone help me on how to communicate and develop a program for iTegno Gsm Modem? Im planning to develop an auto reply application through SMS using a database

6/4/2004 5:23:59 AM

hi.
I recently stumbled upon your
code, and am having some difficulties
with it. It always says

7/8/2004 12:44:20 AM

hi,
i tried ur code,but iam having a problem of 'modem not responding'. i use wavecom fastrack 1206b. i check my modem in hyper terminal and its ok. i already try both COM port, but it still state 'modem not responding'. thanx for ur help

11/17/2004 1:00:19 AM

same problem,always said

11/17/2004 1:00:58 AM

modem not responding...

11/24/2004 4:09:56 AM

for those who got 'modem not responding..': I think you guys should change the baudrate of the port to match the modem specification. Mine is 9600.
BTW, this code is exellent. Thanks Rajnikant

2/6/2005 3:25:33 AM

I tried ur code. But when i send message it sends a junk character. I tried codelike Chr$(Asc(

2/22/2005 1:46:22 AMArvin Meralpis

With minor modifications (port #, AT codes), this project works fine. 5 globes from me. BTW, how do I close a comm port so that this program will be able to use the modem/phone?

2/23/2005 11:16:29 AM

How can I send SMS using CDMA phone

4/21/2005 5:55:39 AM

i am also rying to read the data from meter.would u please help me.

5/26/2005 9:29:42 AM

Please,AT command for Wavecom fastrack?

10/12/2005 11:19:15 PMWilliam

Hi Rajnikant. I have yet to try your codes but to tell you, this is just what I needed, Thank you. However, I have not tried because I need to buy a GSM modem first. Which type of wavecom is compatible? or is it compatible to any wavecom gsm modem? what about Itegno? Can anyone give me AT command for Itegno gsm modem? thanx before.

10/15/2005 5:21:59 AMWilliam

Hi rajnikant, I'm about to use your program with Itegno3000 and I have the AT command with me. However looking at the at command manual really confuse me. is there away to enlighten it? I really need help.

10/16/2005 9:23:38 PMz-man

hi Rajnikant.
can you tell me which port did you use to connect from gsm modem to the computer ? can this code connect the modem that use USB cable ?
Btw, good code :)

2/16/2006 6:24:24 AMMilind Patil

I m using same WAVECOM modem but it is connected to USB port. How can i send AT commands to GSM modem through USB ?

5 globes from me.............

3/25/2007 1:30:39 AMsoheail

hi,
i tried ur code,but iam having a problem of 'modem not responding'. i check my modem in hyper terminal and its ok. i already try both COM port, but it still state 'modem not responding'. thanx for ur help

7/10/2008 8:35:22 AMmohd azmir mohammed

i have ade gsm modem..but dunt know how to autoreply it??
can u help??
ajemir_chikoes@yahoo.com

7/23/2008 7:13:33 AMalvin

hi,
I also encounter same problem "Modem not responding". I browse the code, but cann't find any com-port setting & baud rate.

10/14/2009 9:33:18 AMRansomed

Good work. It worked well for me as a foundation for system I am developing to monitor various devices in our network

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.