Important alert: (current site time 10/31/2014 12:27:54 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Ulli's VB Companion V 4.4.17 (bug fix)

Email
Submitted on: 2/2/2007 11:13:27 AM
By: ULLI 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 103 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 57064
author picture
(About the author)

This Add-In adds configurable mousewheel support and a few other goodies to the VB IDE. Check it out; download is only 96kB (the best 96 kB you ever downloaded *g*). ## Compile the DLL into your VB folder, use the AddIns manager to add it to the Addins menu, and then restart VB. Read the ReadMe file to learn howto. ## Features: configurable mouse wheel support independent of mouse driver - word autocomplete while you type - autotcomplete for API prototypes, constants and structures - code pane grid at tabstops to facilitate indenting - open all code panes by one mouseclick - function to compare current with previous code - copy facility to paste selected code from other projects - pasteable list of members currently in scope (forms, data and procedures) - easy multiline literal generation and modification - reset function to cancel all alterations in a module without restarting VB.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 111 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

9/4/2002 4:23:30 PMspeedy5

simply amazing... i've been wanting for something like this!

THANKS A BUNCH!
5 stars!
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

9/4/2002 4:26:13 PM

Thanks, this solves a problem I have been plagued with for the last 6 months.

9/4/2002 4:29:38 PMDAProgs

Small code that does great things!

If I could give you 10* I would.

This is great great great code.
congrats.

9/4/2002 4:30:06 PMPoltergeist

this is what i wanted for a long time now

5 globes for me ;)

9/4/2002 4:55:45 PMClint LaFever

Never knew there was a mouse problem myself. The wheel has always worked for me on all the sytems I ever used VB with a mouse with a wheel. Looks like this was a big thing to others so congratulations and thank you for posting.

9/4/2002 5:24:53 PMJames Dougherty

Thank you! Finally! After programming in C++ then going to VB im use to using the wheel, but can't. This is all 5!

-James-

9/4/2002 7:10:56 PMGary Staunton

Fantastic Ulli, it's strange that the IDE doesn't support the wheel without a third part product. 5gs.

9/4/2002 10:03:58 PMJohn Phillips

all i have to say is Love it love it love it - 5 of those balls from me. it drives me crazy that I can't use the mouse wheel to scroll in VB - well not anymore - Thank You!!!

9/4/2002 11:21:42 PMspeedy5

hey... it worked the first time, now it doesn't! why not? it says the dll isn't found but i did excatly what u said: put it in the vb dir...
help

9/5/2002 2:00:28 AMEmperor Frollard

I have had the problem on winxp but not on win2k, maybe thats it...regardless, now it scrolls :) oh yeah

9/5/2002 2:07:03 AMEmperor Frollard

1 prob I have with it - I work with panes of code maximized at 1600x1200, then jumping a full screenful of code at a time is a LOT!
Would it be possible to make it scroll a number of lines rather than fire the pgup/pgdwn event (what it looks like it does)?

9/5/2002 2:45:24 AMGerhard

I found a bug for u, In win2k, While you are scrolling, The num lock, caps lock keys turn's off. ?????
Can u perhaps put options for scrolling speed...? However, Great Idea.

9/5/2002 3:50:31 AMUlli

If you feel that jumping a whole page may be a bit much you are free to alter the constants in the SendKeys-statement to whatever you like, and recompile. If it says access denied open the Addins Manager and unload "Ulli's VB Mouse Wheel"

9/5/2002 4:37:14 AMUlli

...or, instead of sending key strokes to the active code pane, you could post a WM_VSCROLL message

9/5/2002 5:40:51 AM~ : . Jeff ''Capes'' . : ~

Thank you very very very much! You didn't ask, but if you did I gave you $30,00. Why? This is something I really needed!

I only miss the option to set the scroll speed. PageDown/Up is a little fast. So one globe less, which still gives you 9 !!! ...and there are alony 5 ;]

thnx again

9/5/2002 6:30:42 AM

thank you very much from thailand

9/5/2002 6:36:00 AMUlli

Jeff:

Why don't you fax me the money :-)

9/5/2002 8:05:53 AMDomnic Sickles

Very usefull for me. I have been using other VS apps like Visual Interdev, and it has the scrolling as well. Not being able to scroll has bothered me for a while...not any longer. Thank you 5* (more if i could)

9/5/2002 8:25:53 AMClint LaFever

Just wanted to let those who are still having problems know, that I have used various wheel mice on various systems (9x/NT/2K/ME/XP) and have always been able to use the mouse wheel (in all areas of the VB IDE. There have been times after a clean install of a machine that I couldn't but either going out to get the latest driver fixed it or I had to go to the Mouse Properties and toggle on varioius settings like "Use MS Office Compatible Scroll Only" options found in some mouse drivers. I guess I am only saying this for those that are still having problems because apparently everybody loves this code so I am not knocking it at all. Congrats to the authror for posting something everybody loves. Just wanted to add my 2cents though.

9/5/2002 9:30:48 AM

Ulli, you are incredible! This corrected a problem I have had since moving to Windows 2K and XP, I have noticed that the numlock light does flicker. Otherwise this is spectacular!
By the way I like setting my scroll speed to 1/3 instead of 2/3, just my opinion.

9/5/2002 9:57:49 AMJustin Mugford

I too have been needing something like this, well done. Only change I made was to make for small changes. ScrollTo = .TopLine - (3 * Sgn(wParam)). Then it will only make small changes, the three being the number of lines you would like to skip.

9/5/2002 10:02:53 AMJustin Mugford

hehe should have tested it, seems on XP, it VB crashes when exiting...

9/5/2002 10:05:50 AMUlli

Hehe Justin, tested on XP and doesn't crash...

9/5/2002 10:54:16 AMRay Hildenbrand

Ya know, it absolutely drives me crazy that the IDE doesn't support this. Thanks a lot Ulli this is sweet

9/5/2002 12:07:26 PMBehrooz Sangani

I suggest you apply to work for Microsoft, just to improve VB IDE with your Add-Ins :)

9/5/2002 12:36:43 PMCodeJack

Great stuff - I've had some mice that worked and others that didn't. I'm sure its a driver issue, but at least with this, all of them will work!

9/5/2002 12:44:48 PMUlli

Thank you all, folks, your suggestions and criticisms helped to improve this product.

9/5/2002 1:27:14 PMPablo Hoch

very nice, but crashes when i quit vb (xp)

9/5/2002 1:30:59 PMRoeland Kluit

It makes VB crash when there is no open code window!

9/5/2002 2:20:39 PM

For those that have VB crash without code windows being open remove the visible line checking in the Function CodePaneProc and instead of using Const ScrollFraction for the scroll increment just hard code the number of UPs and DOWNs in the sendkeys function like this
SendKeys IIf(wParam < 0, "{Down}{Down}{down}", "{up}{Up}{Up}"), True 'luckily this sends key strokes to the window with the focus

I have also noticed this makes the Numlock light flicker quicker making it almost look always on. Just thought I would help.

Larry

9/5/2002 5:23:31 PMPsychiatrist(xasan)

i cant compile it.It asks for the dll
but i cant put it because it cant be created/

9/5/2002 6:10:54 PMUlli

You can't compile because VB has the DLL. Unregister or delete it or use the Addins manager to unload it and try again.

9/5/2002 6:10:59 PMStefan

Amazing code, works prefect! 5 globes from me!!!

9/6/2002 1:05:32 AMJustin Mugford

Ulli, I think I worked out the problem. It was something to do with being on the net or some Office thing, stuffing me around.

9/6/2002 2:56:29 AMjoyprakash saikia

Ulli,
Its really Great innovative work.
Excellent ground work and Kudos! to expand your Knowledge base

9/6/2002 6:43:27 AM

Another piece of excellent code from Ulli. You're a 5 star programmer. So here are 5 globes from me.

9/6/2002 8:42:47 AMVlad Vissoultchev

ulli: great work (once again) and a tip from me:

check out the registry under HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop for the wheel support values esp. WheelScrollLines and SmoothScroll.

WheelScrollLines is a REG_SZ that can be -1 when full-page scrolling is set, 0 - no wheel scrolling at all, > 0 - number of lines to scroll at a time.

SmoothScroll is a REG_DWORD, 0 - disabled, 1 - enabled (default when missing)

there is also HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\SmoothScroll but this is somewhat product specific.

if you need to control these values find the Tweak UI control panel applet.

HTH,
</wqw>

9/6/2002 10:17:58 PMMorpheous

Ulli,
Excellent, and I usually do not vote this gets 5 from me!
Keep up the good work!

9/8/2002 9:36:13 PMDanne

Great utility, really useful!

9/10/2002 5:12:53 PM

This update is EXCELLENT!!!! This is a great utility, I like the options box as well as how good the scroll actually works, this is much better now, not that it was ever less than GREAT!

Larry

9/13/2002 7:49:37 AMVlad Vissoultchev

ulli,

can you do something for the immediate window? SendMessage WM_VSCROLL?

wheel support is addictive :-)))

</wqw>

9/16/2002 10:50:46 AM

Excellent! 5G

9/16/2002 2:01:41 PM

Install the correct mouse driver and you won't need this DLL. Most people assume windows will detect which mouse they are using (I did). Download the mouse driver for your specific mouse (eg, Microsoft Wheel-mouse or explorer) and it'll fix the problem. It did for me.

9/16/2002 11:30:24 PMElias Barbosa

Thanks, Ulli.

It worked like a charm in my Windows XP computer.

You rule!!

9/19/2002 8:12:18 AM

OMG dude thanks!!!!
About everyday when I use VB I always wish it would scroll.
I think VB ......man think is just awesome!! Thank again.

9/20/2002 1:22:58 PMSebastiano Pallaro

Thank a lot! Now I can scroll faster! 5 from me.

9/24/2002 1:38:09 PMOnur BIYIK

thanks thanks thanks.

but i cant stand it when IDE crashes.

9/30/2002 5:49:47 PMali s

wonderful! all i can say!
i'm using this AddIns for about two weeks.work fine. but it crashes when the page is empty.(who wants to use wheel for empty page! maybe I!)

10/31/2002 5:16:39 AMbombdrop

Thid is great only propblem now is to write enough code in a module to use the mouse wheel!!!!

11/11/2002 12:53:56 PMAidman

This is what I been waiting a long... Good at last someone hade the curage to face the extrem challenge of writing this small but yet so fantstic code. When I first saw it I didn't wast a second. It was pluged in before I know it and now I am realised =) I would I given you 7 globs if I could!

12/10/2002 2:18:01 PM

Your a god send! It was my main complaint about VB. NO WHEEL SUPPORT! Are they nuts.

Well you've gone and fixed that and that deserves 5 Globes easy.

Nicely Done!
Looking forward to your future submisions.

1/30/2003 6:13:22 PM

In Spanish: "Cojonudo", great job!

4/14/2003 10:16:24 AMWarp

In Afrikaans: "Heel befok", great job!

4/18/2003 2:47:37 PM

By default you can't use a mouse wheel in the VB6/VBA IDE unless you install the drivers for your mouse that make it work for programs that don't have built in support for it. I use Intellipoint drivers to get my Microsoft mouse wheel to work in those programs... However, I recently tried to write code for Outlook rules and notice that Intellipoint enable the mouse for this VBA IDE (even though it works w/ the VBA IDE for Excel/Word/WRQ Reflection, VB6 and VInterdev). Does anyone know if this DLL will work for the Outlook 2000 VBA IDE? If so, could somebody send me a copy cause the link to download it isn't working. TIA

4/18/2003 2:50:22 PM

That last response was supposed to say that intellipoint doesn't enable wheel support for the Outlook 2000 VBA IDE. If somebody could send a copy of the code to danp[NOSPAM]129@hotmail.com I'd greatly appreciate it.

5/1/2003 1:24:13 AMLautaro

Man, You did it. Good Job.

6/19/2003 3:12:31 PM

Windows 2003 doesn't support the Intellimouse drivers that used to fix this problem, so thanks for writing this code. I had to make a minor tweak to get it to work in SDI mode. This tweak is listed below. I apologize if the formatting gets messed up.

Public Sub HookActiveCodePane()
Dim Caption$
If (VBInstance.DisplayModel = vbext_dm_SDI) Then
If Not (VBInstance.ActiveCodePane Is Nothing) Then
Caption = VBInstance.ActiveCodePane.Window.Caption
End If
hWndActiveCodePane = FindWindowEx(GetDesktopWindow, 0, "VbaWindow", Caption) 'find window of class "VbaWindow" with known caption
Else
hWndActiveCodePane = FindWindowEx(VBInstance.MainWindow.hWnd, 0, "MDIClient", vbNullString)
End If
If hWndActiveCodePane Then
SetProp hWndActiveCodePane, PropName, GetWindowLong(hWndActiveCodePane, IDX_WINDOWPROC)
SetWindowLong hWndActiveCodePane, IDX_WINDOWPROC, AddressOf CodePaneProc
End If
End Sub

7/13/2003 11:38:02 AM

VB = faster. You ROCK

9/25/2003 7:37:59 AMThomas J. Pydeski

I have noticed that specific scrollmouse drivers (i.e. logitech) work in mdi children such as the ide; outlook exp.; etc, but that the standard scroll mouse driver does not.

9/25/2003 10:00:12 AMRymCo

I was going to try this out but as someone earlier posted, I just needed to get the latest driver from the manufacturer (Logitech in my case) and now I can scroll no problem.

9/25/2003 12:05:39 PMBill Bull

Fantastic. Almost every time I've used VB I've wished for something like this. Great job! Thanks for sharing it.

9/25/2003 12:09:54 PMBill Bull

Fantastic. Seems like every time I've switched from the FoxPro IDE to VB I've wished for something like this. Great job! Thanks for sharing it.

9/25/2003 2:50:25 PMJonathan D

This is the most popular code ever, all the comments!! I also had this problem but ever since I have installed my correct mouse drivers I can now scroll, never the less, I still remember the pain from before so 5* from me. WM_VSCROLL idea is a much better one though...

9/25/2003 6:35:59 PMAlex@ConWare

But why did MS leave this out, it was in V5 was it not?

9/25/2003 10:11:00 PMSenthil Kumar

It works only when the addin is loaded at the startup. If added after opening the project it doesn't work. But Its overall functionality is good.

9/26/2003 2:53:23 AMgoebish

just 1 word.... THANKS THANKS THANKS ::))

9/26/2003 4:18:32 PMRichard Rose

I just wanted you to know that you made my year with this code. It drove me nuts not to have my mouse wheel in visual basic.

9/29/2003 5:29:55 AM

Very nice stuff dear friend
if u have anything such great thing then plz mail me.
thanx

9/29/2003 5:31:48 AM

Very nice stuff dear friend
if u have
anything such great thing then plz mail
me.
thanx

9/30/2003 10:28:38 AM

Hallo Ulli!
wie immer SUUPER!!

10/11/2003 11:08:36 AMJohn D. Blakeney

I'm speachless...

Awesome.

11/6/2003 11:17:06 PM<big><font color=''&HFF2222''>WKG Software</font></big>

Man, this has got to be one of the best entries I've used on PSC! Worth a million dollars!! Ummm... that's about 3 billion in my Canadian dollars...

11/15/2003 10:22:09 PMKenKnutson

This is absolutely fantastic. It's amazing the timing on my finding this wonderful piece of code. I just bought a new Microsoft wireless mouse that had great scrolling everywhere except VB. Now it has it in the VB IDE. Thanks.

11/17/2003 2:28:37 PM

you... are... the man!
I've been looking for this almost a century now and you just made me very happy! :p thanks! works like the bomb

2/24/2004 7:42:41 AM

i hope it works for me too!

3/9/2004 2:38:21 PMGandolf_The_GUI

OH MY GOD - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/19/2004 8:31:32 PM

U rock, 5 G's.

4/21/2004 10:01:05 PM

If you open an empty code window and use the scroll mouse you get an error "Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to close", I use VB6sp6. It's only a minor bug but thought you'd like to know about it.

4/27/2004 5:42:18 AMJohn Macey

Really clever code. 5 globes from me, it solves a huge frustration.

5/4/2004 6:01:55 AMJoe Bourne

Very nice code - works a treat. Only complaint is that when i press CTRL-S to save my code (as i frequently do) i have to click the current code window before i can continue typing again - almost like the current window has lost focus. If you fix this then you will be my hero! ;) ... Another excellent post from Ulli.

3/30/2005 10:36:56 AMTom Bruinsma

I have been using this for a while. This is, in my opinion, one of the essentials required for the VB IDE. Thank You and it more then deserves 5 globes.

6/23/2005 4:19:55 PM

Thanks. Worked great the first time, in XP, scrolling successfully adjusts through the windows mouse CP. Nice.

7/28/2005 3:13:15 AMOjing

it's nice code.....

1/26/2007 12:38:58 AMBrandon Scott

Wow, this is great! Thank you for this wonderful addon!

1/26/2007 6:14:17 AMIan

I'm not knocking this great code at all but if you go to the Microsoft support website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837910
you'll find a description of how to fix this problem that doesn't cause vb to crash.

1/26/2007 9:18:53 AMUlli

@Ian

There's much more than just the mouse wheel support (see screen shot and read the readme file)

1/26/2007 4:02:28 PMFernando Csar Chiola

Excelent, just a bug scrolling when horizontal lines are enabled, 5 for me anyway.

1/26/2007 8:00:17 PMUlli

@Fernando

Could you please specify what goes wrong.

1/26/2007 8:11:27 PMBrian Ail

"Good luck and happy hacking" in the read me? lol where did that come from

1/27/2007 2:03:58 AMTuanHai

Slower in IDE than the code "Mouse Wheel Support for the IDE (Final Version)". I use that old code again and happy with it.

1/29/2007 1:10:14 AMUlli

@TuanHai

Use the slider in the Options Box. That was made to adjust the speed from very slow to very fast. Or if very fast is still not fast enough switch off "Smooth Scrolling" and ckeckmark "Whole Page".

1/30/2007 5:09:14 AMkibe

Great!

1/30/2007 5:23:22 AMkibe

Can't use white background of Color Raster when IDE Code Background is DarkBlue.

1/30/2007 10:42:10 AMUlli

@kibe

In mSubclass.DrawRaster change

PreviousROP = SetROP2(hDCCodePane, vbMaskPen) 'set to maskpen so as not to overwrite what's already there

to:

PreviousROP = SetROP2(hDCCodePane, vbCopyPen) 'set to copypen so as to overwrite what's already there

2/1/2007 5:22:22 AMkibe

Thank you. Code is helpful.
Two little questions:
1. can also scroll Expressions in Watches window?
2. when i use Dotted Raster with Blue Lines on Dark Blue bkg the Lines are show with dotted white points. Maybe delete the white dotes?

2/1/2007 11:43:11 AM ULLI

@kibe

1. no

2. use solid lines then because the gaps in a dotted line seem to be white by default. or experiment with the ROP (there are many more ROPs to try). The current version now has a checkbox to select the ROP, so if you do experiment with it bear that in mind.

2/1/2007 11:49:38 AM ULLI

Currently there is a bug in OpenAll. It crashes when you click OpenAll with no Code Pane open. The bug is in dCompanion.OpenAllMenuButtonEvent_Click where it tries to get the WindowState of a non-existent ActivePane.

2/1/2007 10:35:25 PMKris Bennett (i00 Productions)

works great on small to medium sized projects - but on large to mamoth sized it takes forever to open a form (even with the grid disabled) making this unuseable.

2/2/2007 8:24:42 AM ULLI

That's funny because it does not interfere at all with loading a
project. And the grid is only drawn as big as a code pane is, and only when
the codepane is active. Anyway, I always welcome tips for improvement:
how big is a mammoth project in lines for example?

2/2/2007 10:32:06 AMAvi

Ulli, I have noticed the same, it is not only in the opening but in many editing operations. As Kris mentioned you can see it in large files like SGrid 2.0 in http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/vb/Code/Controls/S_Grid_2/S_Grid_2/article.asp

Anyway
that didn't stop me from enjoying your talent and effort once more :)

2/2/2007 1:27:43 PM ULLI

I just checked that and yes, you are right: This is not meant for single modules having some 10,000 lines and almost 600 members. I personally prefer modules which I feel are "manageable, and that ends at about 3,000 lines; anything above that should be split into digestible chunks.

2/3/2007 6:34:15 AMMohammed Sayed

"the best 96 kB you ever downloaded" -> True.

ULLI : My whole life is not enough to thank you for this.

It is perfect for me except that the grid flicker while typing , 5 * from me.

Just suggestions :
-How about making one Add-in that contain this companion & your code formatter?
-How about finding a way to read also the KPD Team's database of APIs (Win32api.apv) that come with the API Viewer?

2/12/2007 8:43:23 PMScorcel

I am getting error "Runtime error 521" Can't open clip board evrytime I open my VB program. Thanks for the time.

5/15/2007 3:30:08 AMkibe

in module which have about 1700 lilnes, the ULLI Companion works so slowly. :(

10/26/2007 3:03:16 PMR Edwards

Two questions . . .
(1) I can't seem to ge the options to open.
(2) I tried to use the mMsgBoxEx module. I copied the necessary APIs to a empty module. Then entered MsgBoxEx "Test MsgBoxEx" and it crashes VB. Any ideas.
Thanks

10/29/2007 2:03:32 PMULLI

@r.edwards

1. it says in the readme file how to open the option box

2. use the class as it is

5/15/2008 10:33:05 AMDirk Siebert

The option box doesn't open. Any idea?

8/18/2008 1:58:31 PMDragonFX

FYI: If you install/use the mouse software for your mouse... it should enable mouse wheel support. (eg. Logitech's: setpoint.exe)

8/23/2008 4:51:33 AMULLI

this IS mousewheel support (amongst other goodies)

2/3/2009 10:38:08 AMAndre Laurin

Ulli, I can't compile the dll. I keep getting an error "Can't find project or library" The following line is highlighted "Public ActiveCompo As VBComponent". Would be great to use.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.