Important alert: (current site time 4/23/2014 10:08:48 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Nexus Special Edition 8.5.1w Replacement shell for Windows

Email
Submitted on: 4/27/2002 8:10:43 PM
By: ByteForce UK  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 10 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 12782
author picture
(About the author)

Nexus Special Edition is a replacement \ companion shell for MS Windows. It has many features, over 4MB worth of pure source code and commented generously.. Multiple user enabled, User rights policy system, Icon Transition FX, Skinnable theme components, RSA Encryption, Lock desktop icons with password, lock computer, built in Snake game, Shortcut menus, etc etc... The .zip file contains System files, Compiled installation (required for media and folder structure) and the source code. If you have any trouble getting the code to work, e-mail me and I'll try to help you as best as I can :). May even put a FAQ section up on my website. More screenshots available at http:\\www.angelfire.com\d20\vbfiles\files\nexus\nexus_scr\index.html. Find out about my new shell im developing at http:\\www.angelfire.com\d20\vbfiles\vb.html. Please feel free to e-mail me any suggestions about Nexus\EZShell [in development]. Enjoy! PS: You will need WinRAR from winrar.com to extract the source code element. (WinRAR is higher compression) 6MB download includes all required components. Background taken from www.skinz.org. Module PROBas.bas by unknown author [refers to non-working fusionz.net]. I have a new shell in the works at the moment that will supersede Nexus [view website 4 details]. Mail me if you have any questions. Hope you like the code guys!

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 14 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

4/27/2002 8:57:01 PM

Very Nice.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

4/28/2002 6:51:56 AMRent_Me

Sry, didn't worked on my Win XP(pro) i still saw my st*pid taskbar, giving you a 4 globes do for the great idea and i can see that you've put a lot of work in it, any more great idea's like them, post them!!!

4/28/2002 7:07:30 AM

Rent_Me, if you were smart enough to read the readme, you'll see that you need to hide the taskabar.

4/28/2002 8:03:45 AMdaniel pramel

Why don't you hide the taskbar from your program. if you need the apicall, then mail me.

4/28/2002 8:35:55 AMAvEnGeR

Looks nice! Let's see if that gives me some ideas for my shell replacement...

4/28/2002 5:16:41 PMGeoffrey Hazen

Very nice, 5 globes from me. Where did you get that Background? Can you send it to me?

4/29/2002 8:37:20 AMM a t t = H a l l

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

The background I used was taken from www.skinz.org in the wallpaper website.

Please do read all the text files that are included, otherwise you might find Nexus doesnt work properly.. As for the Windows XP Pro issue, I have Windows XP Pro, and it works just fine! [with the taskbar hidden] ;). If anyone wants any help on how the code works or if you dont understand something about it, just drop me an e-mail and I'll give you some support! Im not going to be releasing any more updates for this project, as I am working on a new shell called EZShell, which you can read up on via my website in the VB Source section.

Once again, thanks everyone!

4/29/2002 10:07:27 AMRussell H.

Nice code. I give it four globes due to the fact that you have to hide the taskbar manually. Otherwise perfect!

9/16/2002 2:05:45 PMSkitzo Monk

pretty dam nice!!

10/28/2002 6:14:56 AM

I can't find the Sourse Code for this Project!! If anyone has it can you send it to me!!!

1/2/2004 9:59:05 PMPatrick Weber

Its in the Nexus851_source.rar. If your computer cant read .rar files you want WinRAR available from http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm

3/22/2004 7:20:07 PMLee Stuart Cook

Wow, this is an excellent creation, thanks..

10/21/2004 4:13:55 AMDaniel Cassar

is it a alternate shell or is it just a program that runs ontop of the windows shell that loads exe files?

10/21/2004 12:31:04 PMByteForce UK

Daniel

This is a replacement shell for Windows. You can use it alongside the Explorer shell, however, it was designed to be run stand alone.

Thanks for your interest.

http://inDarkness.co.uk

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.