Easy multithread in VB (Updated)

Submitted on: 1/23/2015 1:46:00 AM
By: Thomas Raben (from psc cd)  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 7 Users
Compatibility: VB 4.0 (32-bit), VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 981
     Its actualy quite easy to make several threads in VB. All you need is one (1), API call and you're on your way.

This article has accompanying files
				To make serveral threads in VB, you need a single API call and a few constants (this code should be placed in a module)

Public Const CTF_COINIT = &H8
Public Const CTF_INSIST = &H1
Public Const CTF_PROCESS_REF = &H4
Public Const CTF_THREAD_REF = &H2

Declare Function SHCreateThread Lib "shlwapi.dll" (ByVal pfnThreadProc As Long, pData As Any, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal pfnCallback As Long) As Long

Next is to make sub for the thread (it will not work for a private).

public sub myNewThread()
dim i as integer

for i = 0 to 99
debug.print "message from a new thread (" & i & ")"
next i
end sub

Last but not least, all you need to do, is invoke the new thread: SHCreateThread AddressOf myNewThread, ByVal 0&, CTF_INSIST, ByVal 0&

That's it.

You have a new thread (make sure to end the sub before you exit the program or vb will crash.)

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net

Other 9 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.