VB icon

Plural Check (extremely simple, very useful)

Email
Submitted on: 1/18/2015 6:33:00 PM
By: Jeremiah Hughes (from psc cd)  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 2 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 542

I hope I'm not the only person who wants to cringe every time I see something like "You have been online for 1 minutes." 1 minutes?? I see this kind of thing everywhere; here on PSC, even. It looks very unprofessional to me, and it's so easy to fix! That's why I listed this code as beginner level. Hopefully, Planet Source Code will implement this code and I won't have to see that I got an excellent vote from "1 users." ;-) I would like to hear any comments you have about this code. Also, please click to see my other submissions to PSC. My latest program, Music Maker is nearing the top of the Code of the Month list. If I can get a few more votes it would really help me out! :-) Thanks for looking!

code:
Can't Copy and Paste this?
Click here for a copy-and-paste friendly version of this code!

'**************************************
' Name: Plural Check (extremely simple, very useful)
' Description:I hope I'm not the only person who wants to cringe every time I see something like "You have been online for 1 minutes." 1 minutes?? I see this kind of thing everywhere; here on PSC, even. It looks very unprofessional to me, and it's so easy to fix! That's why I listed this code as beginner level. Hopefully, Planet Source Code will implement this code and I won't have to see that I got an excellent vote from "1 users." ;-) I would like to hear any comments you have about this code. Also, please click to see my other submissions to PSC. My latest program, Music Maker is nearing the top of the Code of the Month list. If I can get a few more votes it would really help me out! :-) Thanks for looking!
' By: Jeremiah Hughes (from psc cd)
'**************************************

'add a command button and a textbox to your form
Option Explicit
Function PluralCheck(Num, Singular As String, Plural As String) As String
Dim NumString As String
NumString = Trim(Str(Num)) & " "
If Num = 1 Then
 PluralCheck = NumString & Singular
Else
 PluralCheck = NumString & Plural
End If
End Function
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim N As Integer
N = Val(Text1.Text)
MsgBox "Cats have " & PluralCheck(N, "life", "lives")
End Sub

Other 7 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Beginner category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.