Important alert: (current site time 10/22/2014 10:38:48 PM EDT)

winzip icon

ASTM E29-93A Number Rounder

Email
Submitted on: 6/11/1999
By: Gator 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 15 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 9852
(About the author)

This function performs ASTM E29-93A standard rounding on real numbers for numbers containing 15 or less digits. There are a lot of rounding functions out there that use VB's Int() command. They're fairly short and work to a point, but not always. Due to the way floating point numbers are handled, there can be errors such as 5.3435 being rounded to 5.344 but 5.3335 remaining 5.333. If you are unfamiliar with the ASTM E29-93A standard, it states that numbers are to be rounded per the following conditions: Note: X refers to the last digit to be retained and Y refers to the digit following X 1. If Y is greater than 5, increase X by one 2. If Y is less than 5, do NOT increase X 3. If Y is equal to 5 and any digits following Y are non-zero then increase X by one 4. If Y is equal to 5 and all digits following Y ARE equal to 0 and X is odd then increase X by one 5. If Y is equal to 5 and all digits following Y ARE equal to 0 and X is even then do NOT increase X My code bypasses VB's built-in rounding features ((i.e. Int()) and performs the rounding manually, using various string and math techniques. The latest version of the code can handle very large numbers (in theory, up to (2^32)/2 digits long!) I've included an example project to show you how it works. Also, the project uses another one of my creations, cTextBox, a customized textbox control. I've included the cTextBox.ocx file, but you'll need to copy it to your Windows system directory and register it. Email me if you have any trouble with it. Please let me know if you find any bugs or have any improvement ideas! Thanks.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 1 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

7/6/2000 4:05:56 PMPatrice

When I run the routine against the number 6818.715, rounding to 2 places, it computes 6818.72 quite nicely. However, when I run it against 6818.735, it computes 6818.73, not 6818.74. Where it isn't computing the way I'd expect, the value of dblRightOfDecimalShifted is 734, with intOneBeyondLast being equal to 4. Since I'm truly clueless about the math behind dblRightOfDecimalShifted, is there a fix for this?
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

7/6/2000 4:09:25 PMPatrice

When I run the routine using 6818.715 rounded to 2 places, it computes 6818.72, but when I send it 6818.735, it computes 6818.73, not 6818.72. When it doesn't work, the value of dblRightOfDecimalShifted is 734, with intOneBeyondLast equal to 4. Since I'm clueless about the math behind dblRightOfDecimalShifted, is there a fix to the formula that will always cause 5 or higher in the first dropped position to round up?

7/7/2000 1:38:23 PMGator

Ok, I made some changes. I was actually aware of some of the problems for awhile, but I've been busy with other projects. Before, I was splitting the whole and decimal parts of the number using some shifting techniques, but the VB "fix" command was causing trouble. Now, I'm parsing the number using some more string functions (I know those won't change the numbers). Also, Patrice commented that 5 or higher in the first dropped position should always round up. This is not the case when using the ASTM E29-93A standard. According to the standard, when the first dropped position is 5, you only round up if the last kept position is odd or if there are any non-zero digits following the first dropped position.

9/21/2001 8:25:35 AMGator

New Version - Now includes ability to
check for Scientific Notation when
rounding. Sometimes VB, when
converting a double to a string, passes
a number like 2.483957E-04. This was
causing all sorts of problems, so I
added some code to take care of that.
It's bypassed by default, but can be
turned on via parameter passed into
function call.

1/2/2002 10:13:18 PMRoger

I know this was submitted months ago, is there something wrong with the VB Function Round()? I've been using it and would hate to learn that is wasn't accurate.

1/4/2002 1:58:16 PMGator

Roger,

Most of the time, Round works just fine; however, during testing, we discovered that it sometimes rounds incorrectly. These are generally very minor and rare errors; however, my company needed to be able to guarantee rounding accuracy, so we wrote our own function.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.